Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading XP

that's odd...I have the sata controler disabled by jumper and I havn't had any problems...

what about a bios update?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

It came with bios 1003.

I don't like to flash without using the ASUS GUI interface to update the bios.

I am in the middle of loading windows right now.
    After that I will load the motherboard disk, then the video disk, then download the latest bios.

Anything else you can think of would be great. My brain is FRIEDDDDDDDDDDDD.

It has been such a wierd 2 days of diagnosing.

I also was using the web a ton to pick up some other ideas. I downloaded some WD stuff, and ended up partitioning a 20gig partition. Although it didn't show the other 100gig. When I was loading windows and it lets you pick where you want to put it, it said either the 20gig partition, or the unpartitioned part. I hope that doesn't mean MORE bad news!

I did change the SATA jumper last time after I loaded XP and didn't have any problems. So we will see.
    I will say this has been the most difficult install I have had yet, mentally.

I have 4 computers sitting on my desk right now that I have been using to diagnose and change things out. And my laptop for a constant Internet connection so I could d/l the WD software and sttuff.
    Another funny thing was, the bootable WD software worked ONCE and that was it. AFter that, it said DOS not installed or something, press a button to restart!!! So that was even more frustrating cause I wanted to see what was up with the other 100gig.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it,
    Chez:cheers:

I hope the reset goes without a hitch.

I DID just find out that my harddrive now shows that it is only a 20gig harddrive. I wonder how to get back the other 100gig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beefy Guest

If you just partitioned 20GB, then your other 100GB hasn't been partitioned, which is why it said 'Unpartitioned space'. You can make this into something later, so don't get too worried.

Beefy, that is the last thing I need to do now.

I FINALLY figured out that BS with the board. I had to up some voltages, change the locations of the ram and a few other things. These boards are finicky from what I can tell.

I am ready to partition the other 100gig if you will help. I would appreciate it.

It has been a hell of a couple days and I am burnt out on this crap.,

I am so glad I got all that figured out. Getting the other 100gig back would be icing on the cake.

Chez

don't worry Chezman29. your 100gig is there and you will have it but after sometime.
    i m saying after *sometime* as i feel that you are a bit of newbie when it come to using fdisk.
    to learn a bit about using fdisk and partitioning that drive you should read FDISK guide
    you can also read it as a PDF

so chose watever u want to do...read abt fdisk and get that 100gig back ;)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Nope no newbie to DOS or Fdisk. I just thought you couldn't use Fdisk with XP since it doesn't have a "Real" dos command window.

I shall try it out. thanks.

Chez

EDIT I already downloaded the bootdisk.com disk for XP pro, except it is 1.41mg and won't allow me to fit fdisk on it.

Correct me if I am doing something wrong.
    Thanks

boot off an old win98 boot disk and use that FDISK to partition it ;)

if you already have winXP running, you can use Disk Managment under Computer Management to partition the rest of it as well as format it

Thanks Minibubba. That is what I was looking for. I knew there was a way to do it in XP. I am just not as familiar with it.

I am not sure if i should create a Primary or Extended.

I am at the screen ready to go.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really need it right now. With everything going on in my personal life, divorce and all, I really am not thinking computers if you can imagine.

Chez

EDIT Scratch that. I created a primary, formatted it in NTFS and it is formatting now.
    Thanks for all the help.

Now to finish setting up the case with everything nice and tidy. I can finally add in the UV lights and all without worrying about damaging them by moving stuff around and all.

glad you figured it out Chez :thumb:

for future reference, you can have up to 4 primary partitions and these should be used first and then extended partitions if you need them.

:cheers:

I could prolly read throu this post and do my job as JK of Smack. But i believe im suffering from an unmotivated trigger finger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information