Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: xp rolling reset after service pack 1

Please help my dell. during the load of service pack 1 for windows xp, from microsoft.com. pc went into rolling reset and will not load up anything. I am not a pc brain but one of my buddies is. he is going to see if he can at least get my files off before he nukes the whole thing. any advise. pc gets to the windows xp home screen with the scrolling green dots in the bar. scrolls a few times, and starts over. safe mode does nothing. last known good config does nothing. forcing boot from cd does nothing.

You can try to back up some of the important stuff to a floppy using the Recovery Console. Im not sure if it will let ya write to a CD or a Zip but its worth a try. Boot from the Install CD and hit "R" when prompted to get into it. Its just a Command Line Interface (CLI), so make sure your buddy knows some DOS Commands, though you may be able to wing it with the "help" command. Note you will need to be a system admin to access it, in other words, know the admin pass. Since its dell, I would suggest there would be no admin pass.

Thread Information