Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sob

warning:

MSBlast+WIndowsXP patch =>OutlookExpress is F****d..... :steam:

eventually leading to....

corrupted hard-disk :cry:

sorry to hear u have the worm. Good thing i had my firewall working + the patch. almost all my buds without firewall got the worm.

But, bad thing is with firewall cant host CS/BF 1942 games :(
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

well I cleared the worm with minimal hassle (see the other applications forum) but the problem was the MS patch corrupts Outlook Express which wouldnt shut down properly and then the PC wouldnt reboot properly - luckily I havent lost alllll my data but I did/do need a new hard-drive, and I've just linked up the old one now... so... I have 80Gb for the new one, and 40Gb for the old one.... but it is a pain, and was expensive....

and I'll just stick with Outlook rather than Outlook Express from now on.....

Hmmm....

I've had 4 here this week to dissinfect and each has taken a slightly different process to fix though none have had any probs with OE. :?:

Sunshine,

If I remember right you said you just got back online after your move. You got hit by Blaster because you had not had time to update and did not have the patch...correct?

There is another fairly large security update to Outlook Express in the updates as well. Look for that one and see if it helps???

Also an undate for IE 6 too!

Just a thought.

Wiggo - we could have probably fixed this ourselves if our other PC hadnt been smashed in the seafreight on the way over - so we took it to the nearest store & MrSunshine got nerd-chatting with the guy at the shop who said we were about the 5th lot he had had in with OE problems.....?! he gave us the new hard-disk (80Gb, not too bad a brand) for about 95US$, and I value the data on the old hard-disk too much to re-format it (photographs that were archived onto CD but the CDs also got smashed on the way over). I've managed to save the data on the partition of the old hard-disk.
    so, maybe the OE problem is "local"?

GS, you're right but when we updated we did the lot.... so I dont know what is going on there.

Now we've got a bit of a funny problem - brand new (home) XP install on a brand new hard-disk and it takes up 4.5Gb of memory?! is that right?! surely not... and if no, has anyone any ideas what is crunching that memory?!
    otherwise tomorrow evening I'm going to reformat this hard-drive and reinstall.... not too painful a loss as I havent saved anything onto the hard drive yet except windows

ummm, G Smith as OE is an integrated component of IE wouldn't one be looking for an IE update:?:

If you do have a seperate update, I would certainly appreciate any linkage you could provide.

I'm just simply unaware of any such critter.

sunshine, when OE gets borked - you got to repair IE. It's a one size fits all technology. Ain't integration just grand:D

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;318378
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

thanks guys

'nother question related to this saga - where do I find my emails that were on OE?! or have I lost them?! (i.e. what file name / extension if such a beast exists should I be looking for?!)

Mr. C I just re-read my post and it should have said uPdate to OE and IE.

I can't remember the update name, but it was fairly recent. It was definately a seperate update for Outlook Express and then there was the IE all inclusive update as well. I got them from Windows Update.

addition: I just checked my add remove programs and the OE update is installed as Q330994

Sunshine -I don't use OE so I don't know where the files are stored. Wish I could help more :tears:

Sunshine

I just did a search and these are the OE files you are looking for.

* DBX files (Outlook Express 5.0 and greater)
    * MBX files (Outlook Express 4.0 message stores)
    * IDX files (Outlook Express 4.0 message index files)
    * WAB (Address Book file)

Try looking in C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Mail for your files, but it can be in a different place on different systems.

And if you want to set up a Backup for the new hard drive. Here is an MS link on the subject.

MSKB for OE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information