Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: install XP Pro from a seperate partition?

Is there anyway you can install XP Pro from a seperate partition on your hard drive? I have 3 partitions (all ntfs) and I would like to install to the C: drive from my E: drive. I used to be able to do this in 98SE by booting from a floppy and then just navigating to my e: drive and running the setup file. I can't seem to do that in XP. I think this might be because of the NTFS drives....they don't get recognized by the boot disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I think youre right.
    I always make my install/ghost partition a FAT32 as it doesnt really need any security. also are you copying the i386 folder to E drive, right?

It sounds like what you are saying is to cpy the xp CD to a fat32 partition, boot up from a boot disk, and then go to the new xp folder to setup. In that way I guess I can go ahead and format my C: drive and install to there. Does this sound right?

not the whole CD, just the i386 folder. thats where the setup files are. Just like win98 folder in 98 :)

Thread Information