Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Memory Loss with win 2k

I have a pentium II @300mhz, 160mb memory with windows 2000. I do day trading using explorer, which streams data using 3-4 explorer windows. I'm trading all day long, 6.5 hours. I frequently have to close all explorer windows and restart them because I run out of memory and the systems gets very slow. I have cable modem service with road runner. I tried increasing paging, min 96mb and max to 512mb, still have trouble. I downloaded and ran Spybot, thinking there were hidden programs running, still have trouble. Does anyone have any Ideas why I may be having this trouble? Maybe a memory leak, I think 160mb should be enough. I believe I have enough memory but when I check task manager It shows less then 16mb available with explorer using most of the memory. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

firstly i would recommend you to keep that paging file at just one size. 512MB is good enough and just keep the same size in minimum and maximum fields rather than 96MB as the lower limit.
    secondly, do you defrag regularly? the kind of work you are doing, will fasten up if you defrag your HD regularly.
    third, go to msconfig and see what all programs are running in background and eating away your memory.

these are just few of many suggestions possible. i m sure you will get loads of other ideas to boost up your PC performance.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information