Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hang ups

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. I installed another (K7SEM) mobo in the computer (Linux forum/Linux CD boot problem...) And installed WinXP Pro. Everything is working.......except the computer hangs for 5 to 10 seconds just about every time I open a window. Like when setting up the Internet connections or local network. It will hang a few seconds then be fine for a minuet or so. When searching for local network connections it hung up three times while the progress bar was moving. I have tried a new PS/2 and a new USB mouse and they do the same thing. Any ideas? CPU? Window$? Maybe I should just get another hobby?

:shrug:

Main board: K7SEM - SiSŪ 730S
    Mem: New Trend 256MB PC133
    HDD: Seagate 40GB
    CD ROM: PleXwriter 8/4/32A
    M$

did you check in event viewer for any errors?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

between your problems with the linux install and now problems with xp i would say goto the website of your mb manufature and see if there are any bios updates for you mb and go from there
    http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/xefloetry83.png
    AMD Athlon XP 2800 Barton
    FrozenCpu.com(Blizzard) Mid tower 2-120mm 2-80mm all voltages controlled
    Enlight 420W Dual Fan PSW
    Thermaltake Volcano 9
    Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18G-Pro nForce MB Dual DDR memory architecture
    2x256=512mb DDR Samsung 2700 333mhz bus
    GF4
    17inch LCD Pixo at700s
    logitech mx700 wireless
    40GB Western Digital "SE"
    30GB Maxtor 7200 ATA133

:mad: I didn't see anything in the event viewer other than a couple of DHCP errors and My computer name had an _ in it.

I formatted the HDD, again, and started to get some new errors. It would go to : BOOT FROM CD: hang there for about 10 seconds then: 1. FD 1.44 system type (0F) then just stop. When I would wait awhile and hit a key the system would just reboot and it would do the same ole sh*t. I unhooked the floppy drive and deleted it in the CMOS setup but I still got the same message.

Next I flashed the BIOS but I might as well have pissed up a rope! It acts the same.
    Soooooooo.......
    Different mobo and a still a plethora of problems. If it was the CPU I would have thought it would just work or not work. Could it cause this cluster _-_-? :shrug:

I know I'm dumb as a box of rocks but gee wiz..... :confused:

dang sounds like one of those problems that forces us all to buy new hardware oh well good luck with everything:shrug:
    http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/xefloetry83.png
    AMD Athlon XP 2800 Barton
    FrozenCpu.com(Blizzard) Mid tower 2-120mm 2-80mm all voltages controlled
    Enlight 420W Dual Fan PSW
    Thermaltake Volcano 9
    Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18G-Pro nForce MB Dual DDR memory architecture
    2x256=512mb DDR Samsung 2700 333mhz bus
    GF4
    17inch LCD Pixo at700s
    logitech mx700 wireless
    40GB Western Digital "SE"
    30GB Maxtor 7200 ATA133

could be a hdd problem. go to seagate's site and see if they have diagnostic software that you can download - if they don't you can get some from Maxtor or Western Digital - and run that. delete that _ from your computer name - windows doesn't like characters in names. do you have the ability to monitor cpu and mobo temperature? overheating can cause all kinds of freaky problems and, yes, the cpu could be part of the problem,
    Asus A7v333 mobo
    512MB pc2700 Samsung RAM
    Athlon XP 1800+
    Nvidia MX200 64MB
    Sound Blaster Audigy MP3+

Thread Information