Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Password Access to Shared Folders in XP - how?

I am using a network at college and my friends and I have had a great system of file transfer, but now I find that XP is inhibiting me. Using 98SE we all had upload folders that gave others full read/write access to a specific folder. We were using a password we all knew, this made giving people files easy, but prevented random files being written to our folder and was a good virus protection. Now with XP Pro I find that I am unable to set a password to a folder. I can still access other computers with folders that are shared with a password using the usual password prompt, but I am unable to set a password. XP help files are no help on this matter, atleast I haven't found them to be.

If anyone can tell me how I could set shared folders to be accessed only with a password it would be great.

sorry man...you can't set passwords on shares in XP, or 2k...

but you can setup permissions...create a user for them, set the password to what you all know and give it to them & let them access it that way...that'll work i think :)
    At the request of wiggo ;)

I looked into permissions, because I really only want three other people to have any access to my computer at all anyway, but I can't set the user options to any user outside of my computer. When I go to the user location menu it doesn't allow me to select anything other than the name of my computer. Perhaps I need to create a user account outside of the administrator account on XP and then set a password that would be applicable for anyone outside of the administrator?

Why on earth did MS discontinue setting passwords? Why is it that any system that works they have to screw up like that? I understand that for the average corperate setting this system seems more practicle, but why remove the option all together?

you'll need to create a user eg fred and then give fred access to those shared folders - make sure fred has a password and thus it will ask for a user and password

MS have done this since it much more secure and means they only have to support one core system instead of the crappy 9x system

So by simply creating a user account that has a password for the use of a specific resource this would mean that any user on the network would have to use the same password as "fred" for that same resource???

Thread Information