Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: OPEN_ME.exe worm/virus

Ok so today i turned my pc on after i was away for the weekend and i found that norton has found a virus at c:\Documents and Settings\all users\documents\OPEN_ME.exe the file comes up when ever im connected to the internet i sometimes get norton stopping the W32.Pinfi in the file or most of the time it stops the W32.Spybot.Worm funny thing is that the 2 viruses are found in the same file which is not accessable from any where. I tried all and any fixes out there and NONE of them work, i did the virus scan dozens of times with norton and trend micro, in regular mode and in safe mode. I dont have any of the registry files that are listed in any of the fixes. I think this is a very new virus or a nice and mutated form of it... im very sure its a windows bug but then again i updated windows a few days ago after i did a clean install. im running Black ice firewall every thing i can think of is updated and im running out of ideas here i tried even programs like hijackthis, spybot search and destroy, adware which none found nothing. all i keep getting from norton every few mins is this

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ybot.worm.html

try removal instructions in ^ mentioned link and no it is not related to Windows rather it is related to KaZaA.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Most AV programs suggest turning off system restore before cleaning a virus.

Have you tried that?

yes i have tried any known fixes for it.... i dont have any of the reg files that are even mentioned on any web site incl the norton site. so far it seems like there are 3 viruses that are popping up the w32 spy bot is the most common one sometimes i get that w32pinfi but recently it came up as some love.6999 or something like that virus so i got the removal tool ran it in dos mode as that is what the tool wanted and nothing was found. o and yes i dont even have my system restore on as i think its a waste of disk space. Well any way im still looking for a fix

That spybot one comes from kazaa 99% of the time. You should be able to just delete it and any others it may have created. All of them will show up in Norton.

............and for heaven's sake, do yourself a favor!
    Get rid of Black Ice Defender and get yourself a PROPER firewall.

Plenty of free ones available that actually do prevent unwanted traffic.

http://soho.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information