Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scandisk error problem

Computer with Dysfunction:
    Athlon XP 2000
    SiS chipset with latest drivers
    Western Digital 120GB HD
    Windows 98se

When my conputer boots up it immediately says it detects errors and runs scandisk. It runs and then it wants to do a thorough scan. It never detects any errors. I actually let it do a thorough scan twice. Western Digital Lifeguard tools says the drive is fine as well as Norton Disk Doctor. I suspect that Windows 98se has some problem with the size of the drive and is thus giving an erroneous scandisk error.

Okay, what can I do about this? Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Usually when I get a Win9x os doin' that I go lookin' for a program that was runnin' but not closin' down properly before Windows did the previous time.

this thread explains a similar problem like yours
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=13583
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Asklepios: I followed your referal and at its referals and just downloaded a file from the evil empire (Microsoft) that says it can fix this problem in Windows 98. That is provided of course the problem is that the final closing data is not being written from the HD cache to the HD.

Wiggo: I usually have all programs closed, but where you sayin' that there may be other programs (not in the taskbar) that are not closing and thus are causing the scandisk problem? How could they be detected?

When ya hit [Crtl +Alt+Del] you'll be givin' a list all the programs runnin', only systray and explorer are needed. Close one of the others one at a time and shut down the PC to see if one of them is causin' ya prob.

Wiggo's got it, but why are you still using 98??.

I used to have all those probs till I changed to XP and followed Dart's advice on how to tweak it.

:)

ooooooooooooooops, sorry, I meant PM's great advice.

WinXP Tweaking: From Relax to Righteous

:hammer:

Yes he would be better off with XP but then again I have 1 XP1800+ here runnin' SE just to prove a point but ya gotta watch the 256MB memory limit (up to 512MB can be gotten away with though can be dodgey) plus he may not be able to afford the upgrade yet.

Don't cave in to the pressure!

Win 98 SE is "Mr. C Reccomended" :thumb:
    I've taken an oath to never use XP - it's a bloated hog and is a clear cut case of Hardware Abuse.
    If it can't be done with 98, it ain't worth doing
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Good on ya Mr. C, well said again. :thumb:

Sadly though few ppl today know how to setup a truely stable and lite operatin' system so they fall back on XP and hope that the bloat cures all without their machines fallin' over but one must bend to demands. :shrug:

<small>I wonder what'll happen now? :D<small>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information