Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fastest: 98 or XP

QUOTE]Originally posted by akira89
    which one is faster for gaming, 98 or xp? [/QUOTE]

The MS 98se vs. XP speed debate; as so eloquently stated,depends on several criteria variables such as hardware, software, firmware, proper install, setup, updates, tweaks, as well as the age of the game being played.

And you seem to have already made the sane solution of running both as a dual boot OS system:cheers:

And while you're trying to decide the issue for yourself, just don't confuse each OS's boot-up and power-down time with it's
    actual co-efficiency and speed of data transfer and application execution. When it comes to the latter XP is the top dog, however, when it concerns the former 98se is hands down heavy-weight champ by KO.

Case in point: any system i've setup on 98se clocks a total boot
    up into windows time of no less than 1/2 and no more than 32 seconds, with a total power-down of 10 to 28 seconds.

While XP i haven't even waisted my personal time clocking, as it wouldn't require a stopwatch to record in increments of multiple
    Minutes.:barf: :2cents:
    secrets:
    Is there anybody out there?
    Guess not, if you can see me.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    If you run XP, don't think about going back to 98/SE/ME or 2000 as it just would not make any sense at all.
    Actually, some games don't work properly or at all on XP. If you are a gamer, there are sensible reasons for dual-booting. For example, if playing online Counter-Strike, an alt-tab or Windows key to desktop will cause you to lose sound (in the game) and you have to restart the game to get it back. In X-COM Apocalypse, to even play you have to make some changes in code, download replacement batch files, and turn down hardware acceleration just to get the game working, and it is still plays poorly. DOS games just don't work unless the source code has been released and the game remade to work on XP with newer hardware(Doom games, for example). As for the speed issue, in my experience, unless you have very new hardware, 98 and 98SE are slightly faster. While I haven't put them through real benchmarks, I do have a kind of benchmark. Couner-Strike, on online first-person shooter, your latency relies a lot on how fast your computer is. In fact, a slow enough computer with cable internet can have higher pings than other computers with DSL or even dial-up. My ping on untweaked SE ranges from 20 to 60 on fast servers whereas on the same servers on my tweaked XP my ping never gets below 40 and occasionally tops 80. I don't have any programs that aren't OS-needed running on either. That might just be with that game or with my comp, I don't really know for sure. So XP could be faster. Of course SE crashes a lot, and XP [i]never[i/] crashes. I don't know that going back to 98/SE and especially ME (I think ME is actually the worst MS OS ever) is a good idea. But if you ever play old games or even have use for (very) old programs, at least dual-boot.

Stupid me, I was searching the forums and noticed this. Didn't realize it was two months old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information