Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest: 98 or XP

which one is faster for gaming, 98 or xp?

98 is faster but also more prone to crashing, errors the like. no where near as stable as XP
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

thnx for the answer :D

I've seen no evidence to suggest 98 is faster than XP. This is a myth - everyone says XP is slower "because it's prettier". Not true. XP has native support for ATA100 drives for example, 98 does not - so if you run an ATA/100 drive which most do now, XP is faster in using it. It has a myriad of better memory management options and hence again it is faster in this. NTFS on large drives can be as fast if not faster then FAT32 as well as being more secure.

If anyone can show any current benchmarks on an identical system running 98/SE/ME being faster than XP I will be very surprised.

i'll just both,win98,and xp,o my system

Quote Originally Posted by akira89
    which one is faster for gaming, 98 or xp?
    It really depends on what hardware ya goin' to be runnin' it on. Older hardware then use 98, modern hardware use XP.

ok I run both systems and one with 2000 pro To me it seems like 98SE is the fastest of all 3 systems In gaming its 98SE all the way
    98se is running XP 2500 512 ddr 120gig hd
    XP is running xp2600 1 gig ddr 80gig hd
    2000 is running xp2600 1gig drr 120 hd
    all boards are MSI
    use to run expox but you can`t find them here in dallas,TX
    anymore :wow:

I own both 98SE and WinXP. I've run both at different times and know most of the tweaks for both OS's. Unless you run an older system as Wiggo mentioned above, a modern system (particularly one with more than 512MB of RAM) will run faster on an XP system than with 98SE.

Of course if you've tweaked 98SE but not WinXP then perhaps the 98 might take the lead. But when both are on an equal footing there is no logical reason why 98SE would be faster, except on old hardware.

Feel free to use whichever you like, I'm not saying you shouldnt use 98SE :) However when XP first came out this was a big debate, and I remember seeing comparisons a year or two ago, and even in its infancy XP was around the same speed as 98SE.

Nowadays most games are designed for XP to start with, not to mention requiring more than 512MB of RAM for smoother operation. That's not even taking into account the much tighter security of XP, the fact that driver support is much, much better and the customization of XP is much easier than 98.

something to keep in mind:

M$ will discontinue support for win98 relatively soon. M$ may push back the deadline once again, but it is still inevitable. I don't think I would want a M$ OS that I couldn't keep current with security and bug fixes, no matter how fast it is (or isn't).
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

What I said isn't advice to go out and buy XP either :)

If you already run 98SE and are happy with it, perhaps see if you can hold out until Longhorn comes out (another year at least) and buy that. Buying XP now, unless you have newer hardware and get a good deal, may not be worth it.

If you run 2000 then the difference isn't major enough to warrant a switch to XP.

If you run XP, don't think about going back to 98/SE/ME or 2000 as it just would not make any sense at all.

If you want to experiment yourself, run a dual boot of 98SE and XP, tweak both using the tweak guides here at Tweaktown, and then compare the performance for yourself (it will differ based on particular systems) and use whichever you believe is fastest as your gaming OS.

Once again, my experience has been that XP is faster in games, especially in reducing stuttering, loading times etc (memory management based functions).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information