Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MSN Messenger 6 file xfer speed SLOW

After upgrading to MSN6 Messenger, my file xfer speeds have gone from super fast to a snails pace. Looks to be about 10kps. :tears:

I clicked on the notice about slow file transfers and opened the ports it mentioned, but that didn't help. I've read the knowledge base stuff which I'm sure is trying to tell me something, but have no idea what! :confused:

I haven't changed anything to my system other than install MSN6 Messenger. The prior verion worked fine. I noticed the old version is still there, but now it's slow too!!

Kaza and all other file xfers are fine. Well, I haven't tried ICQ/Yahoo but I mean FTP, HTTP file downloads etc.

I just want my file transfers to go back to normal on MSN before I go off the deep end :hammer:

Any help would be appreciated. :)
    AMD Athlon 1200Mhz
    Abit KT7A-RAID MB 233Mhz FSB
    1Gb KingMax PC150 RAM
    PowerMax 450w power supply
    SB Audigy Gamer
    NVidia GF3 Ti500 64mb (AGP)
    D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter
    Windows XP Pro

I had to get rid of it, it really sucked bad. Do system restore to before it if you can. I lost all my restore points from another problem and just had to deal with it until new hd came. And that old version is windows messenger 4.7 probably(seperate from msn messenger, but most people think they are one in the same) I am guessing that when you did the msn update, you were running windows messenger. I did it in the first place to try to get file xfer compatability with someone runnin msn6 with intent of restoring after. I was dumb, because if he wanst compatable with me, then after, no one else would be compatable with me.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

My old version is still there and runs but is also slow at file xfer. It told me to make sure prior version was not running before install, which I did.

It seems to have installed itself somewhere else (the MSN folder I think). I don't even have MSN, just MSN Messenger :confused:

I'm definately screwed for doing a restore now though... I've installed too much in the last 2 days : omg: But I know that's not the problem because I installed MSN6 Messenger like 2 weeks ago and it's been messed since then.

I can't imagine what it did that caused this, and even if I try to use the old MSN messenger that's still there, it's slow now too (maybe cuz everyone else is using MSN6?). :shrug:
    AMD Athlon 1200Mhz
    Abit KT7A-RAID MB 233Mhz FSB
    1Gb KingMax PC150 RAM
    PowerMax 450w power supply
    SB Audigy Gamer
    NVidia GF3 Ti500 64mb (AGP)
    D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter
    Windows XP Pro

Thread Information