Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't get DOS proggy to run under WinXP PRO

Have a friend that has a DOS program that he needs to run on his new computer (running WinXP Pro).

I couldn't get this DOS proggy to run on his new computer, so I decided to look at the autoexec.bat file on his old system and found these 6 lines that 's needed to run the program (i'm assuming):

set userno=1
    if exist c:\temp\*.tmp del c:\temp\*.tmp
    if exist c:\vr\*.tmp del c:\vr\*.tmp
    if exist c:\*.tmp del c:\*.tmp
    if exist c:\*.chk del c:\*.chk
    if exist c:\vr\*.on del c:\vr\*.on

How can i add these lines to the shortcut I've placed on his desktop?

Beefy Guest

Those lines aren't really going to affect anything. Simple thing is, XP was not designed to still run DOS programs. There's a couple ways you can go about it:

- Make a DOS boot disk, and run the program when you boot from that. You won't have XP running in the background though.

- Take a look at some of the DOS emulators around, and see if they work. If the program doesn't require too much in the way of hardware support (sound card / CD-ROM), then it should be fairly easy to get working.

- If possible, see if there's an upgrade to the program. Sure, you gotta pay for it, but it's gonna save a lot of hassle.

Thread Information