Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: sigh................

:cry:

I worked and worked on my old computer - finally got XP installed, that went well (thanks for all the help over here)

installed Office 2000

installed my must have EZ cd creator 5.0

installed my must have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0

and now.....

I'm out of disk space. Can't even defrag.

any suggestions? There are those XP programs like "movie maker" and guided tour that I'd love to get rid of. I ran regclean and couldn't find those goodies. I'd get rid of Office if I could just keep the Outlook feature.

6 gb hardrive

304 mb free space

128 ram I think

Am I just going to have to install a bigger hard drive? I tried that once and it made windows 98 run soooooooooo sllllloooooooww that I ripped it out and took it back to the store and got my money back.

I really would like to not to have to put too much money in it, I just bought a laptop and I use the desktop for my auctions. We are fixing to buy an RV and spend a year (or two?) on the road so by the time we get back and move into a new home, who knows where computers will advance to by then? I'd rather put off buying a desktop if I can.

any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassgrl
    :any suggestions? There are those XP programs like "movie maker" and guided tour that I'd love to get rid of. I ran regclean and couldn't find those goodies. I'd get rid of Office if I could just keep the Outlook feature.
    you can remove extra Windoes junk by going to add/remove programs and clicking on add/remove windows components. If you can find the registry hacks, you can remove some more junk as well. As for M$ Office, when you install it, you can do a custom install and select the specific components you wish to install; leaving only Outlook if you wish.

You may also want to consider OpenOffice, which takes up a good bit less disk space to install, compared to M$ Office.

A larger hardirve would also be very benifical, and there is no reason why a larger harddirve would slow your OS down any. In your case, it would probably speed it up some.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

A new HDD should fix your problem. What you'd probably want to do (if you could be bothered) is set up the new drive and get rid of the old one, or use it for a back up drive...

You gotta have something taking up some extra space there somewhere though. I used to run my XP off a 10gb drive and i ad 7gb left after the initial install i think.

Heres an article on how to unistall some hidden XP programs. http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/w...537081,00.html

I *think* what happened is that when I loaded Windows XP the first time and I didn't get the right one loaded (xp home instead of xp corporate) it ended up taking up half my space for the first xp. Because after I loaded the second xp, even though I said install new system, I was still able to sys restore to the original xp, which to me, means it had to still be on there somewhere.

PLUS I had loaded EZ cd creator 6.0 thinking that "new and improved" had to be better...wrong! I didn't realize that the DVD recorder (which I can't do on that machine anyway) included in that package bumped the size from 1000 something to 7000 something!

I still don't understand how removing these programs from the control panel didn't add one iota of space to my computer. I think I remember looking at it when I first loaded it and it looked fine, like I had plenty of space.

I'm in the process now of reloading it after fdisking the entire thing and starting all over. I had a heck of a time doing anything because it kept saying there was no room to do anything! I tried to roll it all the way back to the original install and it wouldn't, mainly I think because I'd run regclean trying to clean it up.

It didn't matter what I did, I unistalled every program I had installed and it still didn't give me any more room! Thank God for my ancient Lifebook with floppy drive that I was able to get online with and burn a floppy to boot off of. My new toshiba didn't come with a floppy drive. I was just fixing to get rid of my Lifebook but now I think I'll keep it.

I'll let you guys know how this works out. I'll be a LOT more selective in what I install this time. The only reason I upgraded to XP was for the newer wireless configurator. I'd spent the last 5 weeks arguing with SMC and my internet provider that something was wrong somewhere. I could get online but couldn't stay connected, couldn't upload pics, couldn't send emails with attachments. They kept saying it was the computer so I broke down and loaded XP...but still couldn't connect. Come to find out, the regular 1500 MTU doesn't work for me. The best I could figure out over at www.dslreports.com was my maximum MTU was 1000. I'd just gotten online good for one whole day and this happened. Oh well, I guess I needed a little more practice in computer programming.

Thanks
    LB

Not sure but it seems to me that EZ CD Creator 5 had some major issues with XP that version 6 fixed ... you may want to check out Adaptec's site.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

:bounce2: aMaZiNg!!

I have it ALL back installed and ta-daa!

Used space - 2.35 GB

Free space - 3.63 GB

Adobe Photoshop Elements 34.8 MB

Office 2000 42.7 MB

Outlook 3.94 MB

Easy Cd Creator 5 w/XP patch 3.53

Google Toolbar (best popup blocker!) 736 KB

Spybot 7.83 MB

Spyware Blaster 1.55

Window Washer 5.0 2.08 MB

It's amazing what you don't have to install if you're careful!

Now if we just had that option when installing XP.

Still haven't found where to delete the Movie Maker, Windows Tour etc etc. I did find the messenger thingy.

Thats the good thing about Windows, you always know that a clean install will fix everything.

Wait, thats not really good. Oh welll no one likes windows anyways!

As for floopies, can you really go wrong keeping one? I know yours are laptops, but for the desktops, I think its worth it. It doesnt draw too much from your PSU and its good for legacy junk. Plus CDs are that quick to use anyways. Mt. Ranier kinda sucks IMO, although I havent really used it since I got my new burner.

Ill be keeping my floopy for a while.

Thread Information