Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unable to delete file

Heyaz, in WinXP I try to delete a file which I no longer need and it comes up with this.
    Cannot delete **********: Access is denied
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.

I have rebooted and it still won't let me delete. Hell I've even tried deleting in safe mode.

Any got any ideas what is happening?

EDIT: Just came up with an idea just after posting, played around with the permission settings and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by DraGoN-BoY
    Just came up with an idea just after posting, played around with the permission settings and it worked.
    I'm sure you're not the only person to have this problem, why don't you tell us what you did? ;)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well since I set the files so that I am the only one who have permission to access the files. And since I just formatted some of the settings still remained.
    There is a permissions tab when you right click on the file and click on the properties menu.
    This sets the permissions for various users.
    It seemed that the box that lets you modify the file was not ticked, so I didn't have sufficient "powers". All I did was tick back the box that allowed the file to be modified by the user.

since you reformatted you may have to again.........i have a similar problem w/ gator...........and, that the file isn't part of some other running processes..........for me it's just the registry key, but for files, when that occurs, i re-boot, and for some non-understandable reason, i go into explorer, right click and delete, no problem......whether all this helps you or not is questionable, maybe someone else here can shed some more light on the subject

Thread Information