Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: windows xp sp1

Ive just formated my hard drive(dont ask) and i need the xp pro sp1 from ms before i can install my broadband(freeserve uk)the only thing is i have to go to my old dial up modem and download it from the windows update and it is gunna take forever anybody know if its anywhere else for a quicker download or any better ideas than doing this every time i format?........thanks in advance......bill

d/l 135MB network install file and burn it on a CD. then you can use it everytime you format. yeah it will take forever but just once.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

You can also slipstream SP1 and add the MS rollup which includes all the patches issued since SP1 and is 9MB . You will only have to update 4 critical patches as of now. Very convenient for those who clean install often and you won't be exposing yourself to the various nasties out there while downloading your updates.

EDIT: If you don't have one yet, get a download manager. Lots of free ones out there. You can stop and restart the file anytime you want.

Check your local bookstores for PC magazines that include a CD, they often contain patches and service packs.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by augie10
    You can also slipstream SP1 and add the MS rollup which includes all the patches issued since SP1 and is 9MB . You will only have to update 4 critical patches as of now. Very convenient for those who clean install often and you won't be exposing yourself to the various nasties out
    ^that is what i would recomend. But in order to do that you will have to follow asklepios' post and get the 'network' install form of sp1a

hopefully sp2 will be out soon, and I can make myself a new slipstreamed CD :)

here's an updated version of the preivious link: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248 (Nero)

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=157 (easy CD creator)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thread Information