Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Boot Virus on Hard Disk! Need Help!

It all started yesturday when I reformatted my computer, installed Windows XP and all my software and games, later on the next day I decided to play some games, the first game I played was Battlezone 2, it loaded up correctly, I went into an actual game to play and boom, it crashes with a black screen, only way out is a reboot. Then I tried to play WC3:FT and what do ya know? it can't find the CD in my CDROM drive, well I made sure it was in there, still the same thing.

So I decided to reformat again and when I stuck in my Windows 98 Boot Disk to start the format process, upon reboot it says theres a Boot Virus on the Hard Disk.

So the help I need is how I can remove this, apparently this has infected the Master Boot Record. My 27GB Hard Drive is practically ruined by this, I can't do anything with it, when I try to boot the drive from any kind of boot disk it stalls when it goes through the loading process and shows a ton of wierd characteristics. (example; North and South double pointed arrows, not normal characters you can type with a keyboard, more like ASCII.)

If anyone could help me this would be great, so far im on my 2GB backup drive with Windows 98 but theres a problem with that too, its somehow missing a file and I can only run it in safe mode, afraid to format that drive and end up with the same thing as my 27GB drive.

EDIT: Ok theres another problem, Im trying to make Bootup Discs for my computer, we have 2 other computers in the house, but none of them are reading the discs in the A: drive, wtf is up with this?

My A: Drive on my f'd up computer reads the MS DOS 6.22 Discs 1 2 and 3.

While if I want to view the contents of the discs on the other 2 computers the one comp asks me if I want to format the floppy disc, so I say yes for the hell of it, and it says can't even find a floppy in the drive. The other computer doesn't even see the disc in the A: Drive.

But my computer see's the A: disc, Right now im trying to install MS-DOS 6.22 to atleast have some sort of OS on my system.. I'm trying out my 27GB harddrive again.

So I can't even make bootup discs for my computer thats having these problems even if I wanted too.

I REALLY NEED SOME HELP! so the people that are viewing this post PLEASE RESPOND!

oops...this is really scray. thats why they say you MUST have rescue disks of your anti-virus. anyways this is not the time to discuss all that. the quickest thing that comes to my mind is put that 27GB in one of your other PC's with an UPDATED anti-virus and try and clean the thing. you can try this right now. may be someone else will also come to your rescue.
    [EDIT]after a quick search i found that you can also do fdisk /mbr. do you have a Win98 CD? you can do it from there.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122221[/EDIT]
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    [EDIT]after a quick search i found that you can also do fdisk /mbr. do you have a Win98 CD? you can do it from there.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=122221[/EDIT]
    fdisk /mbr is what I was going to recomend, but asklepios beat me to it :) You don't need a win98 CD to do it, a win98/95 boot disk is all you need.

as for the floppy drives on your other PCs, try cleaning them.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    fdisk /mbr is what I was going to recomend, but asklepios beat me to it :) You don't need a win98 CD to do it, a win98/95 boot disk is all you need.

as for the floppy drives on your other PCs, try cleaning them.
    you can also boot off the XP CDROM.. go to recovery console and at the command prompt type:

fixmbr

or fixboot

fixmbr repairs the master boot record, while fixboot writes a new boot sector to the disk [this can be destructive if you are multi-booting]..

I ran accoss this in a newsletter I recieve; i didn't realise that the mbr may need to be swiped 3 times:

fdisk /mbr

Which also requires that you boot from a known clean bootdisk first.

Do the command three times just like Dorothy in The Wizard Of Oz clicked her heels, as oddly, some boot sector viruses can avoid the first two attempts. WARNING: This can only be used if you DO NOT have a disk manager, compression, a boot menu, or a multi-boot setup running as using the fdisk /mbr command can INSTANTLY cause the loss of all your data.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

i've never had to do this 3 times that i recall..

there's no place like home...

wait i'm still here at work.. :D

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDD
    i've never had to do this 3 times that i recall..

wait i'm still here at work.. :D
    did it ever work for you on first time? :laugh:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information