Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One more dumb question.

I am changing a bunch of "SETI-crunchers" from 98SE to XP-H. I have several options about how to do this and after playing around with them have MAYBE decided upon one. It seems to be the one that is goona be the easiest & fastest for me, but I've got one big concern about it.
    The method I MIGHT try is to hook each hard drive up, 1 at a time, to my "main" computer, transfer the minimum files that I need (already selected them in placed in a folder on the "main" hard drive) over to the new HD & initiate "setup" there & let it install itself.
    I have already tried this up to a certain point & it works fine. I stopped at the "product key" screen because it dawned on me that I wasn't 100% sure that it was gonna run the install ONLY ON THE NEW DRIVE. I don't want it to somehow to an accidental install on the "main" computer I'm using.
    How I am doing this is going into "disk management" , selecting the "new" HD from there (it's using "F" drive as default & "C" for the one I don't want changed). I just put these files (setup.exe, etc.) onto F, open it up, & click setup. Doing it this way, will "F" be the only drive to get the install?
    Need your input. Ain't going any further till I find out for sure. Thanks.
    You Don't Know Me. I Am Not Here. I Do Not Exist. (Witness Protection)

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Stick with 98SE as what ya contemplatin' on doin' with XP Home is illegal and not allowed to be discussed here.

Huhh? If a copy of Windows that I bought at Wal-Mart is illegal, that's a new one for me. Came here kindly asking for help & get called a thief. If I was doing what you just accused me of, I'd have posted in a Warez forum. Thanks for instantly ZEROING my respect for TweakTown. I'll spread the word.

If I understand your post correctly, you have 1 copy of xp and you want to trasnfer the setup files to multiple hdds, which will eventuually hooked up to their own PCs. If that's the case, then Wiggo was right in what he said, because it is illegal. When you buy a copy of winxp you get a single license with it. That license can only be used on one PC at a time. You cannot have multiple PCs running with the same licensed copy.

If you didn't undersand that was illegal then fine; but do not go off in a tantrum because you didn't get the answers you were looking for. You've got to understand that there are a lot of ppl looking to rip off M$ and many of them end up here. We havn't allowed such disscussion for a while now, but it still comes up far too often. So much so that we have little tolerance for it any more.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

It's not illegal so long as that copy is only used on 1 PC (unless ya bought a licence package) but what your post is sayin' is that ya plan on clonin' that off onto ya "bunch of SETI-crunchers". :shrug:

Did you get a full or upgrade install version of XP for EACH computer you are upgrading?

Or, have you purchased additional licenses for a single install of XP that you purchased?

If not, then you need to be on those warez sites you spoke of.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

what I dont get, is why dont you just use the CD you got at walmart?:confused:
    Also dont get mad, as were more than willing to help, but this is a warez question, and we dont want M$ sueing us over this.

Yes I do understand that people like to rip Microsoft off. If I was trying to do that, I dang sure wouldn't be bragging about it in a public forum. I actually have FOUR legal XP licenses, just to satisfy you. 1 came with an eMachine I bought & can ONLY be used on it, 1 XP-H on my daughter's computer, 1 unopened retail XP-P, & 1 retail XP-H (the one I was playing with). Other than the "minimum" files I placed on the eMachines HD that I was talking about, it has never been placed on any computer yet.
    But that's all right. It's fine to have "little tolerance" as you mention, but when someone that has belonged to this site for several months with ZERO "border-line" posts gets automatically accused & flamed the minute he comes in the door, then you've got a major problem somewhere.
    Bubba, maybe you're different than the rest of us, but most honest people in this world would go into at least a little "tantrum" when the first words from someone's mouth is along the lines of "You're stealing".
    Go ahead & flame your members. You won't get the chance to do it again with this one. TweakTown is (was?) one of the better sites on the net for this kind of info, but it's not the only one. But it IS the only one where I have gotten this sort of "reception" in my 10 or 15 years of computing.
    I can't figure out how to delete my own registration. You can do it for me if you want, doesn't matter to me. I'll quickly find another home that actually values its members.
    Enjoy your site. Seems like it has certainly come a "long way" in the last several months.

Quote Originally Posted by offamychain
    I am changing a bunch of "SETI-crunchers" from 98SE to XP-H. I have several options about how to do this and after playing around with them have MAYBE decided upon one. It seems to be the one that is goona be the easiest & fastest for me, but I've got one big concern about it.
    The method I MIGHT try is to hook each hard drive up, 1 at a time, to my "main" computer, transfer the minimum files that I need (already selected them in placed in a folder on the "main" hard drive) over to the new HD & initiate "setup" there & let it install itself.
    I have already tried this up to a certain point & it works fine. I stopped at the "product key" screen because it dawned on me that I wasn't 100% sure that it was gonna run the install ONLY ON THE NEW DRIVE. I don't want it to somehow to an accidental install on the "main" computer I'm using.
    Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    what I dont get, is why dont you just use the CD you got at walmart?:confused:
    Also dont get mad, as were more than willing to help, but this is a warez question, and we dont want M$ sueing us over this.
    At no time did I flame ya but I'm with kane2g and was confused to why ya just couldn't use the CD straight out but wanted to go thru this elaborate install method which would surely take much more time and effort not to mention possible driver incompatibilties that different systems may induce. :?:
    If ya reread ya first post again ya may now find that it's not very clear on a number of points so how could we think any differently? :shrug:
    Quote Originally Posted by offamychain
    Yes I do understand that people like to rip Microsoft off. If I was trying to do that, I dang sure wouldn't be bragging about it in a public forum. I actually have FOUR legal XP licenses, just to satisfy you. 1 came with an eMachine I bought & can ONLY be used on it, 1 XP-H on my daughter's computer, 1 unopened retail XP-P, & 1 retail XP-H (the one I was playing with). Other than the "minimum" files I placed on the eMachines HD that I was talking about, it has never been placed on any computer yet.
    But that's all right. It's fine to have "little tolerance" as you mention, but when someone that has belonged to this site for several months with ZERO "border-line" posts gets automatically accused & flamed the minute he comes in the door, then you've got a major problem somewhere.
    Bubba, maybe you're different than the rest of us, but most honest people in this world would go into at least a little "tantrum" when the first words from someone's mouth is along the lines of "You're stealing".
    Go ahead & flame your members. You won't get the chance to do it again with this one. TweakTown is (was?) one of the better sites on the net for this kind of info, but it's not the only one. But it IS the only one where I have gotten this sort of "reception" in my 10 or 15 years of computing.
    I can't figure out how to delete my own registration. You can do it for me if you want, doesn't matter to me. I'll quickly find another home that actually values its members.
    Enjoy your site. Seems like it has certainly come a "long way" in the last several months.
    I'm sorry that ya feel that way. : peace2:

my question still stands,
    why not just use the CD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information