Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Gentlemen, I feel PersianImmortal has good guides and the proper warnings in place.
    Let's face it, he is no slouch and he is willing to go through the painstaking process of tweaking a system to it's utmost efficiency.

We all know that is what it takes, patience - perserverance and research.
    How do we know that? Maybe because some of us learned it the hard way, just as hopefully DraGoN-BoY has.

There's no shortcuts, it's one step at a time and thorough testing between steps. I'm reasonably certain I've read something to that effect in PI's fine work.

I think it's just a cross we will have to bear - there will be those that come here, skim the guides just enough to apply every tweak contained within, and then whinge when their system won't perform.
    (now you can see why PersianImmortal gets so exasperated at times - even with all his research and documentation to guide them, he still can't take them by the hand and make them do it PROPERLY)

But, a lot have done it correctly, we just never hear from them because they take their results and happily go on their way.

DraGoN-BoY and others like him, might rush a bit and make an error. At least DraGoN-BoY has bothered to learn something from his mistake, and will probably prove to be quite a tweaker now that he understands just a bit better the fine art of tweaking.

Some folks got it and some don't - most of us here just worked real hard until we got it right.
    That's tweaking, and you love it or you don't.

I certainly don't recall any "Easy & Foolproof Guide To XP" on this site, and I'm certain you will agree with me when I say, I hope I never do see a guide here by that title.

: peace2:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thanks for the support. I do feel DragonBoy's pain in that he's got problems after using my guide. Hopefully next time round he will be 100% problem free :)

However I feel something is overlooked in that my XP tweak guide (the first on in particular) is not about getting a dramatic improvement in framerate. I don't see it as a guide to "tweaking" XP with a few clicks of the mouse and a magic registry setting or two, I see it as a walkthrough of XP with commentary - what I recommend are the optimal settings for XP for most people. I hope while people go through the guide they also learn a bit more about XP instead of thinking it's a big pretty black box.

I know whenever I install XP I go through my own guide to make sure each setting is optimized, and it makes a very noticeable difference to my loadup times, in reducing stuttering/pausing in games, in reducing wasted hard drive space and generally preventing any crashes or freezes from ever occuring. If you don't have the best settings in your BIOS and Windows, then unsurprisingly you will have a lot of "mysterious" errors, crashes, corruptions, etc. etc.

The guide is about getting your system to run its best all round, including regular maintenance tips to keep from having to reinstall XP every 3 months.

PS - Just to answer Asklepios, I've left the Largesystemcache tweak in my guide because firstly you can also activate it using Cacheman, and I can't exactly take Cacheman out of my guide, and secondly if I take it out, people might use it from another source or accidentally set it in Cacheman not knowing what it does. I want my XP guide to have all known tweaks, and the reasoning and any warnings behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    PS - Just to answer Asklepios, I've left the Largesystemcache tweak in my guide because firstly you can also activate it using Cacheman, and I can't exactly take Cacheman out of my guide, and secondly if I take it out, people might use it from another source or accidentally set it in Cacheman not knowing what it does. I want my XP guide to have all known tweaks, and the reasoning and any warnings behind them.
    now that actually makes more sense to me. thanx PI :)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information