Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Just performed a few registry tweaks and service tweaks.
    Rebooted the computer and got a upleasent meassage.
    Windows - Delayed Write Failed.
    I am using windows XP, SP1a. Everything is laggy now and I can't do anything. Tried running in safe mode but still get the problem.
    Anyone know which reg value i screwed up? :cry:

What "tweaks" did ya perform and why didn't ya do a backup? :?:

No idea. Just a whole bunch from TT sites, the XP optimization guides and some others.

I'm dumb. Guess I've learnt my lesson the hard way.

The particular tweak that causes delayed write failure is LargeSystemCache=1, or if using Cacheman, setting the Disk Cache to "Maximize throughput for...".

I have had a warning for several months in my XP guide (Reformat to Relax) not to do this if your system meets any of the following:
    Note that data corruption may occur if the Large System Cache feature is enabled in Windows XP. If you have more than 512MB of RAM, a large NTFS disk or multiple large volumes (60-100 gigabyte hard drives possibly in RAID arrays), and/or AGP graphics with large AGP resource requirements (AGP aperture greater than default) then you will get hard drive corruption. Don't enable Large System Cache in these circumstances.
    Tonight I made the warning in RED so people can't miss it. If you follow a tweak guide, please read everything carefully.

Thanks alot Persian.
    Next time I'll remember to backup and read more carefully and not to rush.
    I've learnt my lesson.

don't you think that this tweak is causing more problems to readers then the performace enhancement it might provide. shdn't you remove it? just wondering...
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

The guide is fine. Works great. Just not when readers like me tend to skim through it and miss the critical points.

Quote Originally Posted by DraGoN-BoY
    readers like me tend to skim through it and miss the critical points.
    This happens far too often with these "tweak guides" but enough warnin's are there in them so are ppl just not usin' their brains, readin' them while their brains are asleep or are they just a tad too illiterate? Maybe we should do away with "tweak guides" all together so that we don't get these constant annoyances anymore? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Maybe we should do away with "tweak guides" all together so that we don't get these constant annoyances anymore? :?:
    this is a perfect response from a 98se lover. :p
    the two guides from PI are a must for any XP user. i mean running XP un-tweaked would be a simple pain in a**. all other tweaks have been tried and tested by loads of users and are not causing any trouble, just this one tweak is a cause of major concern. doing away with "Tewak Guides"??? bad idea :thumbs do
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    this is a perfect response from a 98se lover. :p
    Sorry pal but over 60% of my PC's are XP Pro os'd (10 out of 17 and all but one are old PC's plus SE is great on older hardware, a real shame that most ppl don't know how or won't spend a few minutes to get to know how to get it to work stable which ain't hard at all, and forget about the XP Home version as with all these PC's here it just ain't worth the few dollars cost savin')
    Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    the two guides from PI are a must for any XP user. i mean running XP un-tweaked would be a simple pain in a**. all other tweaks have been tried and tested by loads of users and are not causing any trouble, just this one tweak is a cause of major concern. doing away with "Tewak Guides"??? bad idea :thumbs do
    Yes there are a few good tweaks in there (most I won't use because I need those services on several machines) but some ppl just head straight on into them without realisin' the impact of what they're doin'. Sorry m8 but that's the way ppl are these days. :shrug:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information