Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Shortcut help please.

:) I couldn't find this answer on the site. If someone knows a half-way simple & reliable method, I would appreciate it.
    I have a ChessBrain (a DC program) shortcut on my desktop. I also have a DSL shortcut there. My computer runs off-line programs at night (I don't like leaving it on-line when I can't check it every so often).
    My problem is, due to my slightly ancient age, I forget to turn ChessBrain on each morning when I start the DSL up. It's a "on-line" program only. Sometimes I may do "regular" computing for an hour or so before I realize, "Hey, I'm wasting cycles."
    I would probaly be 1st in the world if I hadn't wasted that hour a day for the last few months.:D :D :D
    Is there a way to connect Chess to the DSL shortcut so both start automatically when I start up the DSL? I've read it can probaly be done with a "batch file", but I'm not sure how to do that.
    Any help for an old-timer? (70 for the last 12 years;) ;) ) Help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks.

I could tell you how to boot your comp and get them to start up with it, but I don't know how to do it with a single shortcut on a PC that has already booted into windows :shrug:

but in case I've missunderstod, this is how you to boot and have them execute when windows loads: copy the shortcuts to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and they will start up with windows every time. That's really all there is too it :)

<center>:cheers:</center>
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Yeah, I do know how to put things in the start-up. That's not what I'm trying to do. Like you mentioned, I'm wanting to do this inside Windows. May not even be possible, but like I said, I've read somewhere at one time about making a batch file. But I can't remember where. Thanks anyway.

I do believe you hit the nail on the head.

It sounds like a batch file is just what you need. Now I'm going to sweeten the deal a bit for you :D

Yep, Mr C. comes through with the freeware yet again!
    It's called BatchRun;

http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_...e=product&id=1

That little program should walk you through building your own custom batch file with a minimum of hassle.

Have fun, and good luck with your DC :)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thanks both of ya. Believe it or not, I was just checking out one of these "batch-makers". I searched up Batch with Google. But I think this was WinBatch, but I can't remember.:o :o :o
    I'll use yours though. I'll let you know what damage I do. Now if I could just remember where I put those D@#! eyeglasses.
    Oh yeah, I did try taking both shortcuts & linking them with one "hot-key"--I used F1 just for simplicity--didn't see how I could forget that one. It's the 1st button on my keyboard.
    That don't work though. One "key" to a program it told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Yep, Mr C. comes through with the freeware yet again!
    It's called BatchRun;

http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_...e=product&id=1

That little program should walk you through building your own custom batch file with a minimum of hassle.
    that's looks like a pretty sweet little app MR. C :thumb: I think I could find some use for that myself.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Yes, F1 is used almost universally in Windows to open Help in the OS or running application. You will most definitely need to use another key or perhaps a combination of keys.

F1 is most definitely reserved long long ago :)

As the WinBatch I found costs $99.95 (with a generous 90-day unconditional money-back guarantee no less), I'd definitely give the freeware a whirl.

a $100 shortcut just seems a bit steep to me!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

They've got programs to make batch files now?!? That's just wrong.

I remember, back in my day, we had to write those little fellas by hand! Blindfolded! With handcuffs on!

LOL

OK, you may begin your lesson now Beefy :)
    I simply found it easier to provide linkage - besides, some folks here rather expect free software from my postings.

ummm, please remove the blindfold prior to the instruction though, OK?

Thread Information