Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: can't remove messages

i have windows xp pro win. i'm using internet explorer with outlook express 6 for my e-mail,and here is my question.

i apparently was playing around and i changed something in my outlook express, when i receive a e-mail and i read it,after that i cant delete it but if i receive a e-mail that i don't want to read . then i can delete it, hope that makes since.

so could someone tell me what i did to correct this little problem

thanks

First thing to try would be compacting the folders in Outlook Express.

Go to;
    File
    Folders
    Compact all Folders

See if that does the trick.

If not, make sure you don't have any flags on the messages you want to delete.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    First thing to try would be compacting the folders in Outlook Express.

Go to;
    File
    Folders
    Compact all Folders

See if that does the trick.

If not, make sure you don't have any flags on the messages you want to delete.

thanks a bunch 4 your reply but when i try it this is what i get.

I'm a bit stumped?

My searches have yet to find this exact problem.
    I suspect that renaming your deleted items.dbx to deleted items.old will remedy this, but so far I have yet to confirm this?

Hopefully we can bump this back to the top at this time and someone with more expertise can pick it up from here.

Google let me down :confused:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

one more thing i tried to cheat and do a system restore but still no go

no that won't help and at this point, it is highly unlikely that repairing Internet Explorer will do any good either.

As I understand it, each folder is allowed up to 2G of disk space.
    I would say that either you have reached that maximum in your deleted items or you have a corrupted .dbx file for at least that one folder.

A .dbx file will normally rebuild itself automatically when Outlook Express is launched.

As it is the deleted items folder that is the issue, I assume there is nothing you require in there. Hopefully it is the only folder with this issue.

I have yet to find anything specific regarding your exact situation however in situations of this general nature it is often resolved by renaming the .dbx file in offense, in this case Deleted Items.dbx to Deleted Items.old and launching Outlook Express and allowing it to rebuild the .dbx file.

It would be a bit more complex, if say the Inbox was in this same boat, as then the .dbx would likely contain messages you might wish to save.

Sorry I can't provide you with some really expert looking linkage though, I'm still working on my best guess at this time.

Mr. C,

thanks for hanging in there for me,i went ahead and deleted my dbx. files in outlook and restarted outlook and that seemed to have done the trick.
    You must of been right on the corrupted .dbx file , but the real test is yet to come witch is wait and see if this happens again,any how thank you very much

Well, as I stated it was my "best guess".
    If your system was sitting here in front of me I wouldn't have hesitated to do it myself. Giving another instruction is another matter however :D

Sorry I never found the proper linkage - numerous searches turned up nothing.
    Thank goodness it was Deleted Items!

I appreciate your confidence in me and am glad it's working properly now:thumb:

Remember to compact those folders once in a while, if you are not already doing so.
    Happy Computing!

Thread Information