Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: update to xp - how do i delete the old win?

after updating from win 98 the system announced it has a backup of the win98 and i can uninstall xp at any time and return to win98. the backup eats up space on my (small) hd. how do i delete the backup (i am not going back to w98). emails appreciated natha@tiscali.dk

Try looking in 'Add/Remove Programs' in the control panel. When upgrading 95 -98se once, I had the option to delete the win95 backup.
    Just a quick note: upgrades aren't worth it - clean installs are the way to go.
    Athlon Tbird 1100@1166
    AMD K6-2-250 @ 333
    Winchip 180@ 200

In the add /Remove Programs , select the entry for Windows XP and one choice should be to delete the backup of your previous operating system. It will give 400to 500 mb of space back.

yeh, when you updrade from 98 there will be an option in the add remove programs to delete the backup or something like that. But penguin freak got a very good point, to see XP work properly do a clean install and use the NTFS file system (XP wud do nothing but screw up when i had it running on FAT32 and was very slow).

Full agreement here!
    Yes, you can indeed use the add/remove programs dialouge to get back that lost space.
    But you would do yourself a huge favor to back up your personal and critical data, and do a clean install.

Note that you can do a clean install with an upgrade disk, however you will be required during the XP setup to place your Windows 98 disk into the CD-ROM to prove that you do have a previous version of Windows.

Once setup has determined you do qualify to use the upgrade version, installation will proceed normally after you re-insert the XP disc when prompted.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

just my 2 cents

full - clean install wil do 2 things

1. really clean up that HD

2. Speed up the performance of the PC

Thread Information