Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual booting

Would someone on here be willing to do a little tutoring on how a dual boot system works?. I need it on a "101" level......:)

it depends a lot on what 2 oses ur tryin to dual boot, so which 2 are you looking to dual boot?

A full 101 tutorial would be too long and in depth for the Forums, but in a nutshell the only dual booting does is to allow you to run more than one operating system on your machine. Depending on the exact OSs you're trying to boot from, you can usually just install them normally and have them issue you an option for the dual booting.

As a general rule, you'll want to install your OS choices in this order:

Win9x, WinXP, Linux (Linux usually has inbred dual booting utilities that won't interfere with Windows boot records)

If you're planning on using some other operating systems, you'll need to specify so we can be of more help.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Those guys are right about what they said about dual OS. So if you want to dual OS your system, I have better way of doing it.

I suggest you to use a program called Partition Magic, Version 8.0 is much better. This software not only helps you on managing your HDD but it also helps you a lot of things, one of which is dual OS'ing your system just like that by following a simple tutorial.

System Commander is also good for handlin' more than a dual Windows boot.

I managed to have a working dual boot, but I really do not understand how it works.
    I have 98 and xp in a dual boot on two different hard drives. I get a select screen which I believe is the boot.ini file, which is a function of xp, is this correct?

The win.ini file appears in both of your Windows versions and has been resident since the beginning (I think I recall seeing it within 3.1). When you installed WinXP after Win9x, the XP interface recognized thef act you have another working OS in place and goes hand in hand with it to give you the boot choice. If you had installed these two operating systems in reverse order, you would only be able to access Win98 as it ruins the boot record set up by XP. Since Microsoft actually had the foresight to recognize the common use of multiple operating systems, it was created to be able to work with them instead of taking total control.
    My Toys

Thanks. The network guru at my place of employment told me that the boot.ini file came out with Windows NT and was not part of ME, 98 or earlier versions. I thank you for the correction.
    Where does the boot.ini file reside?

Whoops... read your previous question wrong. Sorry. :o

The boot.ini file sits in the root of your primary bootable partition and is generally hidden.
    My Toys

Would that mean it is in the first hard drive that boots per the bios routine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information