Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: IE problems

I'm having a problem with Internet Explorer 6. I'm running it with Windows XP Profesional. What happened was, last night I ran spybot on my computer and it found tons of adware. I had it fix all the adware problems. Then, later that night, I noticed that IE quit working. No matter what website I type, IE would not load the site. It would gives me that page cannot be displayed error. If I try loading a website in Windows Explorer, it will work, but nothing will work in IE. Oh, and I'm using a cable modem.

Start with the basic stuff such as rebooting the machine (I'm sure you've probably done this but I'll list it for other's benefit) and reboot the modem.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I have already rebooted the machine, and it's not the modem, because the internet is working perfectly fine. It's Internet Explorer that is not working. I'm typing this on the very machine that IE does not work.

a changed setting maybe? what does the connection bit say in internet options? I'm presuming you are using a LAN connection.The other thing is are you running a firewall? If you are running one e.g zone alarm check to see that internet access via IE has not been blocked through there.
    Eye See You..........

Found this here in the forums and it likely has something to do with your problems. Since you stated the problems occurred AFTER cleaning it up, you've likely been hit by either this or something very similar.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Spybot Search & Destroy placed any software it removed in quarantine within Spybot's folder in the Program Files folder.

Perhaps you should replace that last batch of removed files then ensure IE is indeed working. If so, try following the directions in the link contained in the thread Darthtanion provided.

Best of Luck!

Spybot also has a built-in immunizer for Browser Helper Objects which may help prevent such offending software in the future.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Yesterday my neighbor had the same problem, some sites could not be accessed, he had spent hours on the phone to his ISP help desk running checks.
    He called me for help and yesterday and again this morning I tried everything thats been mentioned here and some, to no avail.

He is using XP Pro and ADSL with a Speedtouch 530 modem, An hour ago we called his ISP and I explained that I had checked everything, did he have any ideas, he did and it worked.

The solution......... open up the modem, disconnect, wait 30 seconds, reconnect...BINGO! , all systems go.

Maybe this simple trick will solve your prob, lets hope so.

Al
    :)

Thanks to Mr. C and Darthtanion for the links and the information...men you save me from REINSTALL Windows to solve the IE problem (it didn't want to connect any site).

Thanks a lot....
    :thumb: :cheers:

Thread Information