Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Update and MSN e-mail problem

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...=sat~mode=flat
    ^ that one is another link which might help you.
    i think you should give google a try. there are very few results related to your error but then you never know what you might find ;)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks for the link. So far nothing has worked but I'll keep searching and I'll try some google searches. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. The problem seems to have gotten worse, or at least I noticed it's worse. I can't play Counter-Strike (a game) online. I can't sign in to a lot of sites (MSN, Fileplanet\Gamespy). It's definetely something wrong with XP in some way; no problems on other network computers and 98SE and RedHat Linux both work just fine (I can play the games and do other stuff on SE, but I'm usually in XP so this is a problem).

I had this prob recently but the only fix I came across was the format my C drive (only Windows and Office reside on that) and reinstall Windows.

did you check your HOSTS file entries? it seems to be a work of some crappy app that fiddled with the file and is now blocking your access to a few sites but i could be wrong :shrug:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I went thru everything that I and others could think of. IE worked perfectly but Trillian, MSN Messenger, Yahoo and all software updatin' just kept tellin' me that there was no internet connection but after 3 weeks of buggerizin' around I just bit the bullet and did the ultimate fix.

The only thing in the hosts file is the localhost entry. I would really like to avoid reformatting and reinstalling my OS. That means first I reinstall 98, then I reinstall XP, then I reinstall RedHat (or even try a different disro). On top of that, I have gigabytes worth of files to backup (that I haven't bothered to yet) and I have dozens of programs to reinstall. It would take me days to finish (as in a total number of hours => 48, might take weeks to totally finish. Anyway, enough of my whining. But is there really no other alternative? Well, I did think of something myself I guess I should ask about. To avoid disobeying forum rules, I'll put this hypothetically: Say I might, possibly, in theory, have acquired a copy of a Longhorn CD that seems to work.:smokin: Think it's worth a shot installing it (from XP without reformat, that option is available), assuming I have said CD? Or is even a reinstall-without-reformat (of XP) worth a shot? I would really hate to have to use 98 SE for anything other than old games since it freezes fairly often. Plus I would actually have to change some settings and do registry tweaks just to get it working well. I'm very thankful for everyone's help so far and any further input on the subject would be appreciated.

Ok I only put the os and office on C: and everything else goes on D: so in the case that the os goes spastic I only have to format C: and reinstall (everything on D: is still intact with only reassociations bein' needed). A 98SE install shouldn't be needed to install an XP upgrade disk as ya can still boot from the XP CD but ya do have the 98SE disk ready when asked. The reason that 98SE is unstable is because the missin' .vxd files arn't loaded durin' the initial install b4 any other drivers are installed. Also remember the rules here.

I'm dual-booting. I don't need 98, I want it. I was thinking reinstalling XP from XP or installing Longhorn from XP might be a fix. The question is, will my program still work? I haven't really tried an install from OS of any kind of Windows for a long time; I usually just reformat entirely. As for partitions I have a kind of funky thing going on with mine. I have SE on a FAT32 20 gig, XP Pro on a FAT32 30 gig, and RedHat 9 uses up another 30 gigs with a few partitions. I normally just have 3 partitions when I set up a computer: 1 for OS, 1 for programs, 1 for files. But with my 3 OS setup I simply can't afford to reformat any partitions at the moment (well, not without taking a long time to backups stuff and reinstall stuff). Interesting about the 98 missing drivers. I actually recieved a meesage from 98 when I initially installed saying I was missing a few .vxd, but I found them (Winrar and a lot of searching through cabs) and fixed that problem. I guess I could be missing some more so I'll finish the article in a sec when I'm done here. About the rules thing, doesn't doing something that hurts Microsoft make me a vigilante :shoot3: rather than a pirate?:D Seriously though, I will refrain from making references to anything at all illegal in the future. It's just I'm so desperate to fix this without a reformat. If you can think fo anything else I can try (or think I should try installing XP or Longhorn over current XP) I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all your help so far.;)

I read through that article. I went through device manager and checked for missing drivers for nearly every device, and went and got them when neccesary. I don't know yet if this fixed my stability problems (crashes to black screen while switching Counter-Strike servers was the main thing), but I will soon enough. This gave me the idea to check for the same problem in XP. I wasn't too suprised to see it was missing drivers for my network card. I don't know if replacing them will solve my problem, but it could, in theory. Unfortunately I have no idea how the even find them on the XP cd. There was a Drivers.cab file, but they weren't there. Files that got pretty similar in name (e100b325.din and e100bmsg.dll are the file names) were there, but not those files. I don't think they are part of the manufacturer-provided (Intel is manufacturer of my network card) drivers because the last time I updated it it didn't come with .sys or .dll driver files, it was an executable file. Any idea where I would find these files?

Updated the network card again, now I'm missing net82557.din. I'll look for it myself, but please tell me if you know where it is.

Edit: Never mind. It's there I either need to restart or it just isn't supposed to display info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information