Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 3 beeps right before Win98 starts

Whats that mean?

I reformated an old system and found all the drivers for it but I get 3 beeps right before WIN 98 kicks in. Whats that mean? Everything seems to run good otherwise.

One more question incase someone knows.
    This system is an old Etower 333, is there a way to disable the Emachine logo for a quicker boot. The logo stays on for about 20 seconds before the system can do anything else.

By "kicks in", do you mean begins to boot or do you mean the desktop begins to show. It's been a while since I have used 98 as my primary OS but I don't recall any 3 beep feature, so it is probably something in your BIOS. If it never happened before, then there must be some sort of error that it has. But if you don't have any problems, you probably shouldn't worry about it. As for the BIOS splash screen, I can't think of any way to speed up the time it takes other than getting a faster processor or maybe trying a BIOS update (search for your BIOS manufacture through google). I am not really familiar with your system, and I might be misunderstanding you at some point, but it seems to me that these problems are really non-problems that have no fix or a difficult-to-implement fix.

Beefy Guest

If it's happening at the start, during the POST, then check this out - http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    If it's happening at the start, during the POST, then check this out - http://www.pcmech.com/show/troubleshoot/14
    The beeps start as soon as the EMachines logo disappears and Windows starts to boot.

Beefy I think your on to something there. It's an AMI Bios that beeps. The reason for reformatting was becuase certain programs would not run due to memory errors which fits that decription well but with the AMI bios they state it should not beep for memory:?:. I just figured the system needed to be reformatted becuase it was extremely SLOW at booting up and there were also some registry errors showing up. The E-machine logo screen still takes longer than it should to disappear and after the 3 beeps everything seem to be fine once Windows starts with the new install. Although I have not tested the programs that were cuasing the owners of the system problems since I don't have them, I'm guessing the results might end up the same: omg: . I tried switching both Ram modules around and only using one at a time but it still does the same thing. I'm beginning to wonder about the Mainboard :( .

UPDATE- I pulled the battery to the MOBO and reset the Bios. Everything seems to be A-okay now.:D . Thanks for the help you guys: peace: .

Thread Information