Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Check Disk program located?

I don't mean where can I access it (right click on C drive, properties, tools, check disk), but where in the computer is the actual .exe file?

I want to create a shortcut to it so I can just click on it real quick. I used to have a shortcut like that, but I got it by noticing it showed up in my start button list of recently used programs...I then moved that up to the permanent list. Since then, I've reformatted, but I can't get that shortcut again. Even when I open it 20 times in a row, it doesn't show up as a recently used program.

I found a program in the System 32 folder called chkdsk.exe, but it's not quite the same, as it opens a command prompt, and then does a check disk...but that doesn't give you the option to have it fix errors, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thx for any help!

The checkdisk utility you can use from the properties menu of a partition seems to be a part of explorer.exe, meaning there is no executive or batch file for the program itself. Either that or explorer somehow starts chkdsk.exe as part of itself (rather than a stand-alone process) and provides a GUI output instead of a command prompt windows (actually this doesn't make much sense but it's possible). Maybe I'm wrong here, but based on the fact that "right-click, properies, etc." is a built-in shell function and that no new process starts when you properties, check disk (according to task manager). Anyway, it really shouldn't matter. A regular check should usually do it, if you want to tick the two option available in the properties version you have to schedule it for the next startup anyway (which probably involves a program other than chkdsk.exe and explorer.exe since seems it start before explorer).

Beefy Guest

In the system32 folder of the Windows directory. :D

EDIT: my bad. I didn't read all your post. You gotta use parameters to specify if you want to fix errors.. ie:

chkdsk.exe /f

Sorry but I'm amazed at how many ppl won't go to the command prompt and type in help or use M$'s online help. : omg:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Sorry but I'm amazed at how many ppl won't go to the command prompt and type in help or use M$'s online help. : omg:
    Huh? Typing "help" in the command prompt does not answer my question in the slightest. I've also checked on MS's site, as well as 2-3 dozen other sites (including this one). I haven't found the answer yet. If you've got the answer, please share it, rather than feeling "sorry" about how many people won't type "help" in the command prompt, or use MS's online help. :eek:

Anyway, thx for the help fellas, but I don't want to go to the command promt and type stuff in everytime I want to use check disk. I may as well just right click on the C drive (i.e. it won't save any time). I used to just have a shortcut right in my start menu that went right to check disk. When I clicked on the shortcut, it would immediately take me to the window which asks you if you want to fix errors, etc. I wish I could get that shortcut again...:tears:

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thx. ;)

try this:[code:1:9be4b32fa6]c:\>help chkdsk[/code:1:9be4b32fa6]that should answer any questions you have about checkdisk

Quote Originally Posted by tjgartner
    Anyway, thx for the help fellas, but I don't want to go to the command promt and type stuff in everytime I want to use check disk. I may as well just right click on the C drive (i.e. it won't save any time). I used to just have a shortcut right in my start menu that went right to check disk. When I clicked on the shortcut, it would immediately take me to the window which asks you if you want to fix errors, etc. I wish I could get that shortcut again...
    as for that^, create a shortcut and put the following in the Target area with whatever flags you need (the command above will give you a list)[code:1:9be4b32fa6]C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdsk.exe c: /f[/code:1:9be4b32fa6]
    btw, typing 'help' in the CLI would have helped you if you had bothered to read at all. The first line says "For more information on a specific command, type HELP command-name" and then gives you a long list of commands. chkdsk is only 10 down from the top.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    try this:[code:1:f72d48393e]c:\>help chkdsk[/code:1:f72d48393e]that should answer any questions you have about checkdisk

as for that^, create a shortcut and put the following in the Target area with whatever flags you need (the command above will give you a list)[code:1:f72d48393e]C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdsk.exe /f[/code:1:f72d48393e]
    btw, typing 'help' in the CLI would have helped you if you had bothered to read at all. The first line says "For more information on a specific command, type HELP command-name" and then gives you a long list of commands. chkdsk is only 10 down from the top.
    I appreciate the help, but can do without comments like "...if you had bothered to read at all." It's particularly annoying given that the problem is not my lack of reading, but your lack of reading.

Allow me to quote myself:

"but I don't want to go to the command promt and type stuff in everytime I want to use check disk...I used to just have a shortcut right in my start menu that went right to check disk. When I clicked on the shortcut, it would immediately take me to the window which asks you if you want to fix errors, etc."

I'll try to be more clear: I DON'T WANT TO GO TO THE COMMAND PROMPT IN THE SHORTCUT, AS I WILL HAVE TO TYPE STUFF IN...AT THE VERY LEAST I'LL HAVE TO TYPE "Y" OR "N". RATHER, I WANT THE SHORTCUT TO TAKE ME TO THE EXACT SAME WINDOW YOU SEE AFTER YOU RIGHT CLICK ON THE C DRIVE, CLICK PROPERTIES, CLICK THE TOOLS TAB, AND CLICK THE CHECK DISK (CHECK NOW...) BUTTON. THAT PARTICULAR WINDOW IS CAPTIONED "Check Disk Local Disk C:". THE CONTENT IN THE WINDOW SAYS "Check disk options", THEN RIGHT BELOW THAT IT SAYS "Automatically fix file system errors" WITH A CHECK BOX NEXT TO IT. BELOW THAT IT SAYS "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" WITH A CHECK BOX NEXT TO THAT.

That is what I want the shortcut to take me to. Again, I thought I made it clear that I don't want to go to the command prompt when I wrote (and which you quoted) "...I don't want to go to the command promt...."

So, as you can see, your suggestions really just ignored one of my parameters for the shortcut: I don't want to go to the command prompt.

I'm sorry for my rant, but I don't understand why so many people in situations like this feel the need to belittle somebody else if they have the slightest opportunity. And then to add insult to injury, I'm taking crap from people who are guilty of doing what I'm wrongfully accused of: Not reading.

Beefy Guest

No need for that. I was thinking along the same lines as Minibubba as to what you were after. I gathered you just wanted a way to run a check disk that fixed errors? A simple shortcut to 'chkdsk.exe /f' would have done that. I'm not sure why you specifically wanted the window. I was assuming that you wanted the window so you had the auto-fix option.

A shortcut to chkdsk doesn't really take you to the command prompt, so to speak. it'll just flash up, do it's thing, and close.

As for bringing up the little window, I think Yawgmoth hit the nail on the head. There will be a parameter for either explorer.exe or rundll32.dll or something else that runs the check disk util, but I personally have no idea what it is.

Sorry Beefy. I just became irritated by certain patronizing comments, which were completely uncalled for.

The reason I want that specific window is because I won't need to type anything into it to get check disk to work. Because I have other programs running, check disk won't run until I reboot. Because of that, if I create a short as you suggest, 'chkdsk.exe /f', then it'll ask me if I want to check disk at reboot, to which I'll have to then type "Y" or "N". The other window I want to get to has "Yes" and "No" buttons instead, so I don't have to type anything. That particular feature is important to me because it's not always convenient for me to use my keyboard.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend, and I really do appreciate the help. At the same time, I certainly don't need to be patronized over my question - particularly when it turns out the basis for the patronizing comments is a misunderstanding or a misreading on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by tjgartner
    Anyway, didn't mean to offend, and I really do appreciate the help. At the same time, I certainly don't need to be patronized over my question - particularly when it turns out the basis for the patronizing comments is a misunderstanding or a misreading on their part.
    I find that almost amusing. The whole bassis for your little rant was something you editied to you post after I posted the majority of mine and simply added to my post after seeing your edit. I wasn't going to go rewrite my entire post for that.

as for belittling you for not reading, it was simply a responce to this:
    [b] Huh? Typing "help" in the command prompt does not answer my question in the slightest.
    It had nothing to do with whether or not you wanted to use the CLI, but the fact that it really could have helped you.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information