Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP Prob w/System Restore

Had major xp probs..followed Tweak to Relax...amazed at pc performance. FANTASTIC! Needed new xp drivers for HP2210-went thru HP process - uninstall/download/reinstall which auto deleted some system32\mui files. In addition can't get HP software off pc. Most important - I set a system restore checkpoint when finished tweaking last night...but cannot get sys restore to restore - it is on, enabled, won't restore even pc generated restore points. Would sure be happy if I could get back to where I left it after Tweaking to Relax all day. Help. Relative newbie......appreciate any assistance....I'm frustrated after all the work I did to get things right.

You have to do all the group policy editing etc to get System Restore to work again, I think.

I went through gpedit. to enable the system restore function. Is there more to do? I'm relatively new at this. Do you think one of the recommended programs (winoptimizer, cacheman etc.,) might have shut off the system restore function? Or, when I was uninstalling HP software, their scrubber program called for some windows/system32/mui files to be deleted. Do you know anything about them? I think their multi user I-something files.
    Am guessing.

Beefy Guest

Sorry, didn't quite understand... what happens when you try and go back to a previous restore point?

My pc goes through the motions, and when the system restore screen comes back up, in red it says "system restore cannot restore to the desired point. I tried both in regular mode and safe mode. I am the administrator too.

I tried answering your email to me about this, but I think I didn't say more than to check the group editor tweaks and I also misunderstood you to mean you have an HP-built desktop. So I'll give another response here :)

Firstly none of the programs like Cacheman etc. disable System Restore by stealth. The only System Restore enabling/disabling tweaks in the guide are clearly labelled, and it sounds like System Restore is at least operating on your system (i.e not disabled).

I'm not sure why System Restore is not operating properly though. No tweak should make it problematic like that. As I mentioned in my email to you, use the System File Checker XP utility (covered in my 2nd XP guide) to restore any damaged system files from your original CD. That may be one cause.

Another cause could be a virus, but that's a long shot. Worth a virus scan anyway.

Finally I'm curious as to why you want to restore. Maybe it would be worth attempting to fix any problems manually given restore is having problems at the moment. Try SFC, the virus scan, also do a registry clean using Regcleaner and see how you go first.

Will do. I'm thinking I'll have to reformat because that's the way I'm going to get my all in one running again with the XP update from HP unless I can get the system restore function to work. (I'd been getting printer hangs for a while when printing more than two pages at a time and was told by a friend to see if there were any xp updates from HP - there were and here I am). I've been following useless printer driver advice all day and came back here for some useful and (and hopefully successful) guidance. Thanks so much. Will try your tips and let you know how I make out..

I just did a quick search in Google on the HP2210 and it seems that there are some BIOS updates which can help certain motherboards resolve the hanging issue. Do a thorough search on Google with your particular system specs and you might find the solution.

Thread Information