Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP2 ??

Hence the reason for my posting the article originally. I just thought my friends at TT would rather be for-warned and for-armed.

Knowledge is power, that way you don't have to jump to any conclusions.....or into the muck.
    If you think you know what I know and think you see what I see, than why are you asking me questions?

I'm not saying we should blindly trust Microsoft and install SP2 without do the usual (backing up, checking settings etc.).

However the "unusual" updates in SP2 are said to be security features which go beyond simple patches - features which affect the stability and security of XP and so they can't be a bad thing.

If MS introduces any new spy components or anti-piracy measure we'll have to judge them on their merits, but quite honestly just as virtually everyone with WinXP now has SP1 on their system, eventually everyone will have to install SP2 to make games and apps run smoothly.

Not to mention that Longhorn has been delayed again and is not due till late 2005 at the earliest from what I hear - XP will have to be continually re-made by MS to stay current.

there's big arguments happing in microsoft atm re what a service pack actually is, by definition its not supposed to include new software.

It looks like this might so thats a significant change in policy

The majority of the problems people had was pirate copies of XP, MS would check for pirate codes and then refuse to install

Anyone want to bet that they won't do it again:devil win

There are aspects of WinXP which need updating, and if that involves adding to and altering the feature set then so be it.

For example, it would be nice for full SATA support in WinXP SP2, just the same way SP1 added USB2.0 support.

Well SP1 increased my boot time considerably, but bootvis sorted that problem. One thing I hate is having to remover MSN messenger all over again. But I am willing to forgive them for that. So far XP has been the best OS to come from microsoft IMHO.
    "Make FPS, not war"

Well...

With my limited knowledge, I try to be responsible and protect my computers as best I can. I update frequently and keep my AV up to date.

Knowing MS's history, I am a bit concerned by the auto update feature that also auto installs. I tend to research the updates a bit before I blindly put them in.

I also purposely don't run windows built in firewall, or any software firewall for that matter. I find they just add a layer of problems that I choose not to put up with.

The SP2 changes all sounds good and wise, but I can't help wonder about connectivity problems or application incompatabilities.

I for one will be very interested in watching for news about this update as me move forward.
    If you think you know what I know and think you see what I see, than why are you asking me questions?

Quote Originally Posted by G Smith
    Well...

Knowing MS's history, I am a bit concerned by the auto update feature that also auto installs. I tend to research the updates a bit before I blindly put them in.
    A good point but the problem is that 99% of people have no idea what the update does or if they need it, its better to update all machines because it may not matter if your machine is patched if the one down the road isn't and is doing a DOS attack on your ISP, it'll still keep you off the air.

The big risk is that if(I should say when cause we all know it will happen) an Update BSOD 30 - 40% of the pc's in the world. Then we really will have some work to do.

Currently I am running a SUS server to update all our PC's Automatically, potentially It could take down our entire network but if we don't automatically update them then virus will & have taken the network down, depending on the virus it can take just one infection to drop the whole network.

Basically we are between a rock and hard place.

It's wise not to use Auto Update. However as a general rule check the Windows Update site at least once a week, and always install the Critical Updates found on there. Every single one of them is necessary for maximum security.

The additional updates you can read through and see if the issue it resolves applies to you, but there are a fair few of those I've installed as well. Obviously updates to Movie Maker or the .NET framework for example are unnecessary if you don't use these applications.

I use the built-in XP firewall and it's no problems at all. Never had to open any additional ports when gaming, and scanning for trojans, viruses and severe adware has never found anything on my system in the last 2 years I've been using XP.

No OS is perfect, but I find XP is both very flexible and relatively secure enough for me. And I've been lucky to get it to be rock-stable. A total of 3 BSODs and 1 general lockup for me in the last 5 months, mostly with intense gaming :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    .NET framework for example are unnecessary if you don't use these applications.
    That is one update out of 7-8 non critical I don't need hence don't install.

Quote Originally Posted by G Smith
    i don't think Auto-Update is such a bad feature after all. it has just brought MS a bad name and that too cos of simple FUD. i mean if Auto Update is such a prominent thing then why did the Blaster worm actually hit so many people? if they would have run the auto update then their PC's would never have been affected but no, they are smarter. they switched it off and hence got a hard lesson by getting kicked on their backs.
    secondly i completely agree with PI here. i update religiously (my sig explains that too) and i have got BSOD just once (touchwood) and that too cos InCD Packet Writing software had flaws.
    i agree with all of you that we should wait and see how SP2 goes but this is not cos of any "Microsoft Histroy". its just cos making a major change to your OS should be done carefully. just my :2cents: :cheers:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information