Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Desktop background storage.

Is the background completely loaded into the random access memory when the os is running?

Making it better to use a smaller jpg file instead of an big uncompressed bmp file memory wise..:?:

i guess the simple answer is "Yes" ;)

large image size bad for memory and performance, small image size (or no image) is good for memory and performace

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Yes, desktop icons, wallpaper, windows sounds and system tray apps are all loaded into memory when Windows loads up.

To really conserve memory, reduce the number of visible icons on the desktop, use a smaller (less complex) wallpaper, particularly one that is your desktop resolution or smaller.

Finally go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds and under the Program Events window set all the useless sound effects to "None". Also, try setting several similar events to the one sound. For example I have my Critical Stop, Default Beep, Exclamation, New Mail Notification and System Notification sounds all set to "Exclamation.wav".

Even then using a 123KB wallpaper, 36 desktop icons, a few system sounds and no background apps my WinXP uses only 70MB at bootup (Task Manager>Commit Charge figure).

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Yes, desktop icons, wallpaper, windows sounds and system tray apps are all loaded into memory when Windows loads up.

To really conserve memory, reduce the number of visible icons on the desktop, use a smaller (less complex) wallpaper, particularly one that is your desktop resolution or smaller.

Finally go to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds and under the Program Events window set all the useless sound effects to "None". Also, try setting several similar events to the one sound. For example I have my Critical Stop, Default Beep, Exclamation, New Mail Notification and System Notification sounds all set to "Exclamation.wav".

Even then using a 123KB wallpaper, 36 desktop icons, a few system sounds and no background apps my WinXP uses only 70MB at bootup (Task Manager>Commit Charge figure).
    First of, the tweakguides are truly awesome! :)
    I've done all that tricks, it really makes a difference on memory usage , it also makes my machines respond mutch faster when working in windows.

I never have more than one icon at the most on my desktop, I've also made sure no unneccesery sounds are loaded. But I do have made me a nice wallpaper though, it got kinda boring with just the black plain screen. It's only 45k though so it can't steal that mutch mem. :)

actually windows uncompresses those compressed JPG's or some other picture format to BMP and then use it as a wallpaper. iirc rendering JPG with its full compression is not possible. so remember that even if you are using a 43KB wallpaper it is not necessarily using the same amount of memory
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information