Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Having trouble installing win xp on new computer.

Hi guys, I have just bought a new computer, all the stuff in it is new except the harddrive which is a IMB Deskstar 120GB, which is newly formated. When I put in the Win XP disc it starts as usual, you have to select a partition, format it and so on.
    Then it starts to copy the files over to the HD. And then after the restart it's supposed to resume the install, but it WON'T. Then I again have to choose what partition I want to install on and then it copy the files again. After the restart I have to choose partition again... It just goes on like this. I have tried with a win 2000 disc also but still have this problem.

In bios everything seems to be okay, this is really strange...

Be sure your Hard Disk is set ibefore the CD-ROM in boot sequence in the Bios

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Be sure your Hard Disk is set ibefore the CD-ROM in boot sequence in the Bios
    if that was the case, he wouldn't get as far as he does ;)

MPN, double check that all the cables are firmly in place. Only one cable needs to be slightly ajar to cause problems.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    if that was the case, he wouldn't get as far as he does ;)
    How do you figure that? If the CD-ROM is set to boot before the Hard Drive then you'll get the problem he's getting right now

'cause you must hit enter to boot off the CD when the BIOS finds it, at least that is the case with every windows instalation I've done. After the inital files are copied over and the PC restarts, just do not tell the PC to boot off the CD when it asks and it will move on to the hdd and continue to intall Windows. Although not all bootable CDs will work like this, the Windows install disks do.

However, with that said, make sure the hdd is somewhere on the bios start-up menu, otherwize the bios will have no choice but to boot off the CD.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thanks guys, but I have the HD as primary boot, then the CD. I only have those two installed for the moment. All cables seems to be installed ok, I think it's the boot sector on something like that on the HD, it's the only thing I can figure right now.

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    'cause you must hit enter to boot off the CD when the BIOS finds it, at least that is the case with every windows instalation I've done. However, with that said, make sure the hdd is somewhere on the bios start-up menu, otherwize the bios will have no choice but to boot off the CD.
    I know, but also if theres no HD in the sequence to boot from it'll boot from the CD anyway, I shouldve worded it that way to start with

Beefy Guest

When you install Windows XP from CD, it will ask you to hit any key to boot from CD (if the CD drive is set to boot). You only need to do this once. After it start the install, then restarts, you don't need to press any key. That is the only way that it should be able to get back to the initial install. Otherwise, it will continue on to the HDD (assuming boot order has HDD in it somewhere) and will continue the install from there.

Ok, I had this happen twice before. So what I did was(after many hours the first time). When it goes to reboot and continue, go to the bios and change it from cd to hd, save, exit, then it should work. Doing this made it work both times. It's like waiting for the rinse cycle to put the fabric softener in. The only other option is an upgrade install over something like 98se, if you still have it. I keep it around just for this reason. Had to do it yesterday.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w