Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost volume control

Something really bizarre happened to me.
    I really don't know what I did but all of sudden the volumen was really low. I went to control panel to see what was wrong and I found out that I couldn't access the advanced volume control settings anymore. And I get and error message saying that Volume control is not installed and tells me to go to Add/remove programs to install it.
    I go there, to windows components but there is nothing I am able to install that is related to Volume Control......
    I don't know what to do. The drivers of my sound card are perfect and they are all installed and work fine. It's a windows XP issue...

Does anyone know how to reinstall the volume control??
    Nick :P

Volume control is not something you can install/uninstall. It activates when it detects a sound device on your system. I suspect something has corrupted your registry and/or your sound drivers.

The best bet would be to uninstall/reinstall your sound card drivers (from Control Panel>Add/Remove). That should fix the problem.

yeap, I had already done that but just to be sure I did it again now and nothing.....The drivers are all ok, the sound comes out. It's a windows mess. What baffles me is that windows throws me the error message saying Volume control cannot be displayed because it is not installed !! go to add/remove prog.......

The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Mr.C you are my man !!! thanks bud ! I was driving nuts !!

sometimes a PC can do the doggonedest things

Hope that helped!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Very strange. Nothing should corrupt your Sndvol32.exe file during the normal course of operations. Check to see if you have a virus, and also if you're overclocked wind back your overclock. Alternatively you may have faulty RAM.

yeah, it is definitely strange Persian.....

The only thing I did before I messed it up was to uninstall some windows components but none of them related to sound....

Regarding the RAM, that's pretty impossible, I have 1GB ram 333 Kingston boxed and they only have 8 months by now.....
    Actually for something that had nothing to do with this I ran MEMTEST86 a month ago and everything was perfect as I expected.

And it wasn't a virus either, I update on and run on a weekly basis my Norton antivirus 2004.

I also have a firewall, so probably it wasn't an attack either !!

anyway, it was probably something related to that crap called windows........ I wish I knew more so I could move to Linux.....(sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico3d
    I wish I knew more so I could move to crazy:
    yer can, we have alota xperts arounda herw that can answer your questios regaring linux.. just dont ask me hree pls.

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker
    yer can, we have alota xperts arounda herw that can answer your questios regaring linux.. just dont ask me hree pls.
    Someones got a little beer ;)

Anyway, I seen this problem on an old PC with a Hard Drive going out, but that was a particular thing, bad RAM can cause this too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information