Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: msl.lock?? What is this file?

OKay, i recently purchased the Linksys Wireless Media Adapter. And i installed the software, and it installed some microsoft program to help do sumthing, I have no clue, but anyway. The software is used for my wireless base to communicate with the media adapter to beam my mp3 collection to my room. Well, all of a sudden, i've noticed that in my mp3 folder, there was sumthing created called _msl.lock And it's description says, Lock. Now, when i go to add the folder to the media manager to be read by the software to transmit my mp3s, I won't let me. It says the access to the folder is denied. !!! So, i created a new folder and moved my whole mp3 collection to the new folder. I looked in the folder, and there isn't a lock file in it. Well, I woke up this morning, turned my computer on, and found out that there is the same damn _msl.lock file in my new folder, so i can't access my music. This sux! Is this some new technology microsoft has deployed to thwart music lovers? I need help cuz i dont wanna keep moving my whole collection to a new folder every day. Is there anyway to remove sumthing so the file doesnt show up?

Thanx Much,
    Addison

I deleted your other thread on this exact same subject as only one thread is required here but searches of Google, Linksys and M$'s knowledge base have revealed nothing to me on what this _msl.lock could be (someone else may know though). :shrug:

I have no real evidence to base this one except the commercial. If you have seen the commercial for this on TechTV, you would notice they really dont use an OS on the laptop, thus making me think M$ doesnt like it. So maybe it is M$s way to screw the end user again.

Does it say if its compatible with your verion of windows?

Id also say to try a Virus scan and Spyware (spybot - search and destory is good, www.downloads.com). It may be something else thats effecting it if its not on either Linksys or M$s site.

The only reference to msl.lock that I have been able to find is in relationship to Cell Phones. It's some sort of security lock.

I'm wondering if with the wireless adapter you have there is some sort of security setting embedded into it?

Off the wall I know....But I would look to Linksys for the answer.
    If you think you know what I know and think you see what I see, than why are you asking me questions?

first of all which linksys adapter you have?
    also is the music folder shared?
    is there WEP on? or WMA or whatever encryption you using?
    Also go into control panel -> Add/Remove Programs and look for the Microsoft program you installed. Let us know what it is.
    Probably if you uninstall the program its going to work, but not 100% sure.

Some many possibilities. The MS in the file name is probably just a diversion from what it really is so you don't delete it. Scan for spyware and viruses, as usual. It could be something in downloaded program files (C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files). If you ever visit a particularly nasty site and click yes to anything asking if you want to install something, it can send a program capable of causing a lot harm there. Try that stuff for now, because after that generally you get into using task manager to find processes that shouldn't be running, which can be overwhelming for the uninitiated. Based on the type of problem, I bet it doesn't even have much to do with your wireless adapter (a hardware device causing folder inaccessability seems odd). Of course I could be wrong, but I bet the proximity of the two events (buying the adapter and msl.lock) is a coincidence.In any case my experience with wireless hardware, especially Linksys, is that it all sucks. I have had two wireless PCI devices, one USB device and a friggin Router all break (not stop working right on Windows, break) after less than a year's worth of use.

okay, i've figured out where the file originates from. like i said earlier, when i would try to delete the _msl.lock files ( i say "files" instead of "file" because not only does it install itself into the folder with my mp3s but into all of the subfolders as well) it would say that some program is using it and it can't be deleted. So i went to add/remove programs and uninstalled the linksys adapter utility and then went back and tried to delete the .msl file, but it didnt work, i got the same message i did b4. So i was lookng through other programs to remove and i came across the other program that was installed along with the linksys utility, and that program was microsoft .NET framework. So i uninstalled the .NET framework and then went to delete the msl.lock file and it worked!! SO, it originates from microsoft, and the .NET framework MUST be installed for the ultility to communicate wirelessly with the hardware media center. So that means those little msl.lock files that prevent me from adding my music folders to the utility to be beamed to my media center MUST be there because they originate from the .NET framework. It's almost like microsoft and linksys got together and came up with a way to screw music lovers once again.

If anyone has any other incite to possible ways of getting around this problem, pleez let me know...let all of the stumped people in this forum know.

I dont have issues accessing my mp3 folder on the wifi network.
    You dont need .net to have wifi.
    Just go to linksys site, download driver for your adapter.
    uninstall the current one, reboot, install new one.
    Maybe it will work. ATM thats all I can think of.
    Good luck.

it seems that some people are confused at the what a wireless media adapter is. I recently experienced the same thing. Those lock files are actually created by the wma software. Everytime you add a folder to the wma it puts a lock file on the folder so it cant be moved. When you remove the folder from the wma it removes the _msl.lock. I hope that helps. Thank you for sheding some light on the subject without this post i would have never made the connection between the wma and my problem.

Ryan

Alright, i have many complaints about this Media Adapter. For those who have it, or know of it pretty well, i would like to tell everyone that it completely sucks. It is not worth 180 dollars. OKay, the windows media adapter puts a lock file on the mp3 folder so u can't move it, but it doesnt update my mp3 list. I would have to refresh my mp3 folder in the adapter ultility every time i download new songs and put them in my music folder. Another problem that i see with the adapter is its inability to read all ID3 tags. The adapter only picks up about half of my mp3s in my folder because they're all tagged differently. I dunno wut tag info it uses to read info, but it's definetly not all ID tags, which completely sux. I have alot of mp3s.. I am not going to go through all of my mp3s and retagging every single one to match so the adapter can read it. It's very pathetic. And the fact that you need it plugged into a tv to go through the folder is another hassle. I hafta go behind my tv and unplug my dvd player video cable and plug in the adapter video cable. Then i gotta turn my stereo around and unplug my dvd audio cables and plug in the media adapter audio cables. After that i gotta turn the adapter on and let it boot up. Then i gotta tediously scroll throught the huge list of my albums( very very slowly) and sometimes the remote doesnt pick up the right button signal. So it will either revert a selection or do something goofy. So u must sit right in front of the adapter while painstakingly and sluggishly browsing through my mp3s. MAN IT SUX! I think i shoulda went with the creative labs media adapter. The remote has a built in screen, no need for a tv!! and a scrolling knob to easliy flip through all of your mp3 files. And i dont think people with small mp3 collections are going to use the media adapter, so it makes sense that the files should be easily and at least somewhat quickly accessable

GOD, linksys needs to definetly rethink they're media adapter!!

I WANT A FRIGGIN REFUND!!:grr:

Thread Information