Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot delete certain folders in Win XP

The Windows NT folder has a few things in it, like Wordpad and Pinball.

xerox is empty on mine too, but it must be something, as I can't delete it either.(I have no printer or scanner) The same with microsoft frontpage. (This may install with Office XP, I dunno if it was there before I installed Office)

Hmm, alright, then...guess that they're all legit in some way or another.

A mod might want to lock this, unless of course somebody wants to come in and explain what all the "unknown" folders are for.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

PersianImmortal may be able to explain what there for

all of these folders are harmless and should be left alone.
    as you have already seen that NavNT is something related to "Norton Antivirus". similarly all these folders are related to their parent programs. For Example: Xerox is related to XP's inbuilt sanner accessing and OCR program. though you most likely will never use it (hence empty) but this is something given by XP by default. "microsoft frontpage" is a folder where frontpage files created in any OS other than on NT (like 9x) are unpacked temporarily for editing purposes.
    so these folders are actually there to store temporary files and since they are empty i see no reason as to them causing any problems to you.
    if you are still "itching" to delete then disable the "System File Checker". to do so use a hex editor and edit the sfc_os.dll and sfcfiles.dll and then edit the registry.
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SFCDisable and put "ffffff9d" as value to competely disable it.
    now you will be able to delete the folders.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Ah, thanks for the explanation on that. I guess that they were somewhat conspicuous-looking seeing as how they weren't in the WINDOWS directory, where most of the stuff is located.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

if you still want to get rid of them without doing any registry editing you can do this. copy exact path for file.
    restart computer and press F8 before windows startup begins, select safemode with command prompt. go to the directory with that file then delete it this way. this also works good for certain spyware and trojans.
    i didn't do it<p><font color=red>you didn't see it<p></font>so what box do you want to know about?

yup but out here the directories will be re-created on your next "normal" boot :)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information