Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot delete certain folders in Win XP

Strange thing I've come across. I've noticed that I have a bunch of folders in Program Files that are completely empty (with Hidden Files visible), yet I can't delete them. I can't ascertain exactly what they're for as well, but when I try to delete them, some say that they are in use by another user, others say that access is denied. I try to change them to be non-read-only, but whenever I try, it always gets set back to read-only. I have no knowledge of putting them there in the first place, which is also somewhat strange.

Here's a list of the folders - all of them empty.
    • microsoft frontpage
    • NavNT
    • Windows NT
    • xerox
    • MSXML 4.0

Like I've said, they seem to have no importance, yet I cannot delete them, and they're all stuck on read-only.

Any help would be appreciated.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

The folders are empty, but they probably have hidden files in them.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

*sigh*

As I said above, I have (and always) set Windows Explorer to display hidden files.

they are probably part of the windows system itself.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

No, I doubt that's it. When I first installed Windows XP, I never had them there, and only about two or three weeks ago did they appear there. I also have the latest updates for Norton, Ad Aware, etc., so viruses and such shouldn't be a problem. I haven't installed anything major in that time frame as well, aside from the odd game or two.

sorry, they are always there
    but if you find out how to remove them, let me know, i dont like them either

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn that they weren't there originally.

Bah, if anyone can confirm this, then I'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by SearanoX
    *sigh*

As I said above, I have (and always) set Windows Explorer to display hidden files.
    Well sorry if i MISSED it.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

NavNT is the only one that isnt always there, thats Norton Anti-Virus related
    Neither is that MSXML 4.0, but I got no idea what its for

I don't see why you're acting so hostile. I'm not insulting you in any way over this, nor do I think that you're stupid, inferior, etc. because of the fact you didn't read the post properly. Everyone makes mistakes, and I was merely pointing that out to you.

Now, can someone please confirm (or not confirm) that all of these folders are there by default with Windows XP, and under no circumstances cannot be deleted?

EDIT: Thanks for that, amd. Still not sure about the other ones...what makes me somewhat suspicious is that they're in lower-case, without anything capitalized, as are pretty much all "official" Windows directories.

I don't have anything made by Xerox that is installed, so I have no idea why that's there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information