Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: warning m$ erases all competion

Oh, guess I missed that part.

Sorry.

:cry:
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by SearanoX
    Oh, guess I missed that part.

Sorry.

:cry:
    Nothin to be sorry bout, we all misread things. ;)

:cheers:

It's called sarcasm...

Think this should be locked, as it's turning into a spam thread, unless the original poster wants to say something else.

It's true that Microsoft does a lot to get rid of competition, everything from disallowing computer manufacturers to distribute anything but MS OSs, to stealing software and putiing it in the next version of Windows, but I doubt that they would put a function into Office that gives it the ability to see ext2\ext3\swap Linux partitions, and even know what they are, much less delete them. Also there are Microsoft artcles that give heelp on dual-booting, even one that admits installing an MS OS will delete any existing Linux boot loaders. Not to mention the print services for UNIX service that can be installed via add\remove programs in Win XP Pro. There's no question that MS has tons of serious problems, from unlikeable and even illegal business tactics, to major software flaws, some intential, other just ignored. But aren't you exagerating just a little by saying MS is on a "warpath"? I have never even hear of "m03", and several google searches reveals a bunch of crap, so where are you getting your information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I have never even hear of "m03", and several google searches reveals a bunch of crap, so where are you getting your information on this?
    from a Linux selling site
    http://www.lindows.com/lindows_micha...hp?id=86&all=1
    actually what i feel is that all these claims are rising because of the XBox thing that happened a few months ago. MS released a patch that erased Linux off the "modded" XBox boxes and did so without taking any users consent. But out here people don't understand that those XBox boxes were modded and were not supposed to run Linux in first place but still this M03 doesn't strike a chord to me :shrug:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

XBox boxes were modded and were not supposed to run Linux
    Ummm, not to go off topic, but
    They werent supposet to run Linux because its not what MS wanted, not because runnin Linux on it was illegal. But since some1 payed for Xbox, it belongs to them if they want to install linux or smash it with a sledgehammer is up to them.
    Its sort of like your dealer would repo your car cuz you are speeding or not waxing it enough!!! its just silly!!!!!!

Back to topic.
    I dont trust anything that a salesman tries to sell you, because he needs to give you a reason to want his product. If they said, "use staroffice for WINDOWS!!!!!!!!"
    They are there to sell you something or to make you think you need it. Oh thats why its called Advertising!
    :2cents:

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    They werent supposet to run Linux because its not what MS wanted, not because runnin Linux on it was illegal. But since some1 payed for Xbox, it belongs to them if they want to install linux or smash it with a sledgehammer is up to them.
    Its sort of like your dealer would repo your car cuz you are speeding or not waxing it enough!!! its just silly
    No, just because you own an X-Box doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with it. Part of the license agreement (and the law in some countries) is that you cannot modify it to overcome copy protection, nor alter it in certain other ways. It's the same when you buy any software - just because you own the physical copy of the software doesn't mean you can copy it, give it to all your friends etc. It's not the same as a car.

Anyway, back to the topic - MS has the ability to do a whole bunch of things but rarely if ever uses that power precisely because they don't want this sort of scaremongering. The original poster has made the assertion that using an MS product can lead to all sorts of mysterious things happening on your system, when the truth is quite different.

If you don't like MS, that's your choice, but please don't spread unfounded allegations on a public forum because it can unnecessarily scare a whole bunch of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    <Dale Gribble voice>Keep an eye peeled for those "M$" black helicopters!</Dale Gribble voice>
    Have you seen em' to..??

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    No, just because you own an X-Box doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with it. Part of the license agreement (and the law in some countries) is that you cannot modify it to overcome copy protection, nor alter it in certain other ways. It's the same when you buy any software - just because you own the physical copy of the software doesn't mean you can copy it, give it to all your friends etc. It's not the same as a car.
    Expanding on the software statement somewhat - when you buy any piece of software (and quite a few other things for that matter), there's the little think called the licence agreement. You must accept this to use the product. You see, when you buy software, you do not own the disk itself. That is still property of the company you bought it from. Rather, you own instead the right to use that software on your computer whilst abiding by the aforementioned licence agreement. This may include not using cheats codes, hacking the software, copying the software and giving it to others (for free or not), and anything else stated. Violation of these means the company can legally take back the product from you without giving you your money back, or even disable the product by invalidating your CD key or serial number- something that is becoming more and more popular. You had a contract with them, and you violated it. That's the logic behind it.

Sorry to go off-topic with this post, but it had to be said. Sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    you can kill your Xbox with a sledge-hammer but you cannot use a mod chip mate. Xbox comes with an EULA that says that you cannot do it. Search a bit and you will be able to come to know about something like
    "Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system is strictly prohibited."
    So that doesn't make it a car right?
    Secondly, Yes the user paid for Xbox but in real MS sells Xbox at loss and every game sold for Xbox gives some money to them. Now, they start making money after you start buying more and more games for your box.
    So now you can tell them to take a walk and install Linux but you broke the law first and you got what you asked for :)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information