Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: see program's source code?

how can i see the based code of a program (whether it is c++ or visual basic)

plz :cry: :shrug:
    Revenge Blizzard

unless the program freely offers the source code you usually can't see it once it has been compiled. Although I'm not a programmer so I may be wrong about that. But in most cases it is illegal to try.

What program did you have in mind?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well I have MS visual studio and it puts an option into Explorer that allows you to edit programs (.exe, .bat, .dll, a whole bunch of stuff actually), but it usually doesn't work well with .exe files. I am really only an amateur programmer (I know Python and some C++), but generally you can't "decompile" a program and look at it's code. That's why you need open source programs if you want to view the code. Just what kind of program do you want to see the code of and why?

Hate to post here again already, but minibubba, how are you open-source addicted if you aren't a programmer? Source code is usless unless you know how to change it. Do you mean you are addicted to freeware or am I missing something here? And I will also take this opportunity to beat the admins in saying that the title "i need some help" is pretty bad. Try to give a better idea of what your problem is in the future. :)

Edit (look down one post first):
    I keep forgetting that. :grr:
    I used to post a lot on forums that didn't allow editing so TweakTown and similar site are a pretty big upgrade for me. Sorry for wasting space.:o

Beefy Guest

And I'll point out this is the 2nd or 3rd time today that you could have used the edit post button.. :P

that's a completely separate topic ;)

but since you brought it up, it's the principle of open source (not to be confused with freeware) that i like and what it can do for the software community. While I can't take advantage of the available source code myself other people can which imo will lead to the best software possible. I can't support the open-source community financially or with a bit of my own code so I spread the word and raise people's awareness of the software. It's surprising how many people don't know that there are alternatives to costly software. Many of these alternatives work very well. The idea that most of it is free is a perk, but certainly not the only reason I'm such a fan of it.

Perhaps we can get back to the subject at hand for now? :)

Good logic :):thumb: :cheers:
    Although I don't see how open source stuff is off-topic when that is what the thread starter wants to know about....:rolleyes2 :)
    Posting again to ask you about it was stupid, but hardly off-topic.

wanting to know my personal reasons for being an 'open source addict' while not being a programmer was certainly off-topic and not going to answer anyone's question, but I hadn't intended to make an issue out of it. ;)

:cheers:

Thread Information