Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WINDOWS vs LINUX

Beefy Guest

I was quite happy to sit back and read that post, until you started pickin on Macs... then I realised you were just as biased as the rest of us. :)

A google search revealed:

http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/
    http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/
    http://www.linuxquestions.org
    http://www.linux.org/docs/index.html

You can always look for more on your own, but Linux really isn't that hard to use. What I found when I started using Linux and reading these types of guides is that they tend to teach you more about how computers and programs work than they teach you about using Linux. Most distros use shells pretty similar to Explorer in interface, so learning to use Linux isn't hard. But if you know Windows very well (meaning any short of editing the registry without help is pretty easy), it can be a difficult transition. It is a lot different in the stuff you mess around with (there's no Windows control panel, obviously). The file system is organized differently (basically, your user folder is considered the "Program Files" and "My Documents" of Linux). Setting up Linux shouldn't be that hard. Even dual-booting with Windows is pretty easy. I can't really elaborate much more; I'm still relatively new to Linux.

Just be happy that no one started a Windows vs. Macintosh thread, that would probably turn into a flame war. I don't have any major issue with Macs, I just can't see using them over Linux if you know what your doing. And that single-clicking crap really gets to me.:p

Quote Originally Posted by Mista K6
    Heh, I'm kind of interested in learning about linux, is there any good tutorials or guides online that give a nice run through of operation and features? Thanks, : peace2: Mista K6
    Useful links thread in the Linux forum, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=8680

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Just be happy that no one started a Windows vs. Macintosh thread, that would probably turn into a flame war. I don't have any major issue with Macs, I just can't see using them over Linux if you know what your doing. And that single-clicking crap really gets to me.:p
    There's the key phrase - 'If you know what you're doing'. 'If you know what you're doing', then XP is perfect... :rolleyes2

Nah, XP is good even if you don't know what your doing (well, a year with no maintenance and your pretty much screwed). Linux is good if you know what your doing. If you already have XP there's little reason to change (dual-boot maybe, but not switch), but if your going to get a computer with no OS and you wanna take the time to learn Linux, it's definetely worth it. In any case, Linux is simply better, if you know what your doing. Mac is good if you're never going to know what your doing or if you want to do stuff the really easy way. Extreme ease at the price of the user's control and money (and right-clicking:grr: ).

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Mac is good if you're never going to know what your doing or if you want to do stuff the really easy way. Extreme ease at the price of the user's control and money (and right-clicking:grr: ).
    Tell that to the users of Final Cut Pro, or Photoshop, or any other complex editing tool used on a Mac. Plus Macs don't always do things the easy way (not that making something easier is a bad thing). As for your continual gripe with the one mouse button, I personally use a Logitech MX700 on one of the Macs here at work. With full 8 button support. Including a right click and mouse wheel. :)

I love Mac.

Just wanted to state that. Its hard for me NOT to start a flame war here. Buts thats not right, specially its off topic for this post.

So yea. I found linux easy too....:thumb:

Go check my post in the Other Operating Systems forum. Long as hell but it will prevent Beefy and I from discussing things forever. :)
    Last time I checked, Photoshop is on Windows too. Last time I checked was about 30 seconds ago since I do have it installed. There are plenty of good video and picture editing programs on Linux and Windows, and the Mac ones aren't much (if any) better. Hell, friggin Windows Movie Maker isn't a bad program. I have actually used it in making videos for school work. Easy as hell to use. I saw a Mac program a lot like it once. Can't remember the name but I bet it doesn't come free with Mac OS X. Movie Maker comes free with XP. If your a proffesional of some form and you need a Mac-only program, fine. But if not, you don't need those Mac programs. As for the right-clicking thing, it's also the interface. It's not quite as good (in my opion) as Explorer and Linux shells (i.e Gnome, KDE) are with their whole right-clicking thing. Control-click is a pain, and that's what I'm forced to use at school (1-button mice! Ahhh!). Anyway, I was putting the right-clicking thing in parenthesis with smilies because it's not a serious argument against the use of Macs.

Beefy Guest

I just deleted a 7 paragraph long rant, because I calmed down enough to realise it doesn't belong. End of Mac talk here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information