Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Moving installed directories between drives in XP

I didn't have access to my larger NTFS partition because I used to have 98, but now that I have XP Home installed, I would like to move some full directories, specifically games and programs not vital to windows to the larger NTFS partition, because Im really running low on room on the FAT32 partition. Can I just drag them from partitions, or maybe copy and paste, and then delete the old ones, without having to reinstall everything into the other partition?? Will dragging them cause errors in programs such as games, because they will not find specified files in their installed locations?? Any other way of going about doing something like this without reinstalling??

ive found that copying them from one partition to another, half the time it works. other times it has registry stuff, so it might create problems.

im assuming you have the actual CD's? :confused:

best thing to do is to try, if it doesnt work you might have to reinstall it properly.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

It might work depending on the game. You might have to reinstall or export registry keys (which is hard if you don't know what your doing). If you don't have to reinstall, one thing you can also worry about is saved games. A lot of games put their save files your My Documents Folder (C:\My Documents). Just put them in your My Documents Folder under XP (D:\Documents and Settings\[Your User Name Here]\My Documents). You might also be lucky enough to find a a text file in the directory that will allow you to change where the games thinks its files are located (usually with older games). In any case, get RegCleaner or a simliar program because moving game directories will create a bunch of invalid registry keys in your 98 registry. I don't really think it is necessary to move your game directories unless you [i]really[i] need the space (you should be able to play them under XP even if installed on 98, with some exeptions). Well good luck and tell us how it goes.:thumb:

App Mover: http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

you have to do it manually for each program though..

Nice link!:)
    But it won't work if he installed them under 98 and wants to play them under XP on a different partition since they don't share a registry. Well, it might work but the app mover program wouldn't really have anything to do with it. Still, I'll have to try that program sometime and it probably is useful for the thread starter.

Just make a copy of all your saved games etc and then uninstall the game and reinstall it on the right partion. ;)

:cheers:

It's obviously best to just reinstall but there can be a huge amount of time involved and....
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal11
    Can I just drag them from partitions, or maybe copy and paste, and then delete the old ones, without having to reinstall everything into the other partition??

Thread Information