Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a stupid question

What is an OEM product. The only reason I'm asking is I want to upgrade to windows xp professional, but I can't afford $ 300.00. I've seen it for sale for $ 129.00 but it is an OEM product. I'm not sure what the difference is. Thanks :D
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

in this case the only diffrence bettween the oem copy and the "full" copy, is that you wont get the fantastic microsoft tech support, {what a shame that is}

I think oem means other equipment Manufacture, and that its produced by another company, even so with windows thats like the best price ive seen , were can i get a copy?

hope this is of some use.....

Thanks for the imput, and yes the info was helpful. Here is the link http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/sear...1c0109bafe9511 I was wrong about the price, it is $ 129.00. Thanks again
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Quote Originally Posted by work dam u
    I think oem means other equipment Manufacture, and that its produced by another company
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

it's just hardware and software designed for system builders. It usually does not contain the support and other extras included in retail packages, which can also sometimes include the waranty. It is still made by the same companies that make the retail packages.

You may want to consider getting an 'Upgrade" version of XP pro, which is still much cheaper. You can do a full install with it if you already own a previous version of windows (win95 not included). You just need to enter it's CD key when you first boot off the XP CD. You will still need to enter the XP CD-Key later.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

OEM Windows means that it comes with a very small manual all wrapped in heatshrink instead of with a huge manual in a spiffy box but to obtain the OEM version some amount of hardware must be purchased so that you qualify for buyin' it though the amount varies from country to country, dealer to dealer.

I'm running windows 98se now. I thought you had to be running xp home edition or higher at least to be able to upgrade to xp
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

You can upgrade from Win98 and higher but ya can't from Win95 and lower.

is the upgrade as good as the full install? The only reason I'm asking is I upgraded to xp home edition, WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Nothing was compatable with the os. I replaced my printer, cdrom, just about everything before I uninstalled it and threw it away.
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Saprano case

You either have very old hardware or ya didn't do it as a clean install. The only difference between the full version and the upgrade version is that the upgrade version will ask for verification of ya old os so have the CD and product key handy.

OEM versions are usually tied to a specific machine, and if you try and install it on another machine setup (or change a lot of hardware on the current machine) I think you either have to call MS or you simply can't.

Other than that, the OEM, upgrade and full editions are identical. They're just designed for different circumstances. You can only buy an OEM copy with a new PC for example (legally speaking). You can only use an upgrade edition of XP if you own a full version of Win98 upwards, etc.

I recommend XP upgrade, because of the OEM limitation as I mentioned above. Home vs Pro is virtually no difference, so pick the cheaper.

Finally don't do an install of XP over your current OS. Do a full reformat, and a fresh install of whichever XP you get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information