Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: recover deleted file

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    go to Peter Gutmann's web page. I suspect minibubba would be more interested :)
    hmmm, looks interesting, i think you may be right

notepad should be able to open just about any type of ascii-based file, word included. Athough word has a lot of hidden code in it's documents which shows up in notepad, makeing it nearly impossible to read. If notepad is not opening the file, i suspect all you may really need to do it apply the M$ Word extension.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well unfortunately I can not correspond with her in real time but I'll try to explain.

When this first happened I asked her to do a few things. I told her to right click on the file and to look at what it says that it opens with. She said that when she tried to click on the "general" tab, that it would not let her see anything.

I then asked her to send me the file over AIM and she could not do this either. Is there some sort of windows equivlent to a vice? Something that could physically grab the file by the neck and say MOVE! I don't believe that she can copy it either.

Instead of clicking on the file she tried opening it through Word...error. Notepad...same thing.

She tried to restore her system back to a previous date (which I guess does some undeleting as well?) but no luck.

This wouldn't be so puzzling if the icon was a short cut, but it isn't. It drives me nuts that the file is right there but refuses to do anything. Like a smug rottweiler hunched over a bowl of chicken fat.

It's actually not a thesis, Although I do appreciate your concern Minbubba. It is the second part to an award winning piece of prose that is about 45 pages long. She's been honored by many authors for her work and this is the second half to the piece that gave her some recognition. You are completely right about the value of backing up those important files and not messing with them but alas, here we are with, as she put it, "her murdered child."

Don't know if this is any more help.

EDIT:
    i suspect all you may really need to do it apply the M$ Word extension.
    The only problem is that she - by any conventional means - cannot access the file in a way to change the extension. Are there other ways that she should try other than right clicking and so on?

That's pretty screwed up. You could try putting the hard disk in another computer and accessing the file from there. Or try using an MS-DOS boot disk or something like that and looking at it (from the same computer). If that doesn't do it you'll have to try the programs and then consult some sort of proffesionals if the programs don't work. And at some point in time she should get off of ME .

I think your best bet is to try to recover the deleted original file, but don't lose the mystery file on the desktop either (although that one puzzles me). You may have already thought of this, but is it possible that she hasn't emptied the 'recycle bin' yet? If by some miracle it is still listed in there, Windows can easily restore the file itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otherside
    EDIT:

The only problem is that she - by any conventional means - cannot access the file in a way to change the extension. Are there other ways that she should try other than right clicking and so on?
    she should be able to rename it. click on the file's name once, wait a second and click again. This should allow the file's name to be changed without right-clicking

She should also 'show' the file-extenstions for all files. This is done by going into Folder Options and turning off the default option, which is to hide file extentions.

Agh, I really wish I were there to do it for her but the unfortunate thing is that she is really only capable of what I can tell her to do over AIM. It's so difficlut to respond from a distance. Also, many of those great programs that you guys suggested do not run on ME. Have I overlooked one that does? Do any of them actually let you recover the files without paying?

And yeah, I did ask her about the recycling bin right away. :p No such luck.

anything that says win98 should also work on ME since me is still considered part of the win9x family. Also, may of them have demos or trials that should get you though this (hopefully) one-time event

*there is also some freeware and shareware apps here: http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

Oh, great. It is really sad that some people have been unfortunate enough to have been using ME, completely oblivious to its evils.

As dire as matters are, the both of you have given me a bit of hope - which is more than I had ever expected to get. She lives in New York and is asleep right now but I will talk to her tomorrow. Thanks again for everything and I'll see if I can't get you an update then.

*Bakes a whole platter of cookies for you*

keep us informed, especially if something works for you. As bad as this is, I'm sure it's happened and will happen to other people as well.
    Hopefully she will have learned a valuable lesson from this, whatever the outcome may be.
    :cheers:

I saw no mention of Mr. C's favorite file recovery freeware?

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

Disk Investigator is a very nice utility to keep around.
    (hopefully, for the sake of a friend and not yourself) :)

It does work in the majority of cases when used quickly.
    As was pointed out, minimize use of the system once a deleted-in-error file is discovered.

Maybe an effort in vain, but I like to clear internet cache and delete a couple unneccesary files immediately - hoping this gives Windows somewhere else to write besides where the data you wish to recover may reside on the disk.

If another partition is available, install Disk Investigator to it to minimize the possibility of overwriting. When recovering a file with Disk Investigator it is also reccomended that you recover the file to a different partition than the one it resides on, again this is an effort to avoid overwriting.
    Of course, if a seperate partition is not available just keep your fingers crossed and do what you gott'a do.

I've had personal success with this utility and have seen great success with those I have reccomended it to as well.

It's free, so give it a whirl.
    Good luck!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    I saw no mention of Mr. C's favorite file recovery freeware?
    Mr. C, being the 2 biggest proponents of free software on theses forums (or at least the most vocal) one of these days we need to get together and compare notes, I'd love to see what else you have in your stash at some point.
    :cheers:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information