Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Explorer / Winlogon.exe crash

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    NEGATIVE - it appears XP shipped with both a version 5 & 6?

should I admit confusion at this point in time?
    Welcome to my world. :) I've been mulling over this for a couple days. I'll try manually update the system32 dll to the latest version in another folder. Probably end up crashing, but there's only one way to find out...

That's right. I have the same thing. What's the creation date on the one in system32? It's possible that whatever program replaced it used a very similar file (mine's same size as yours), but that would give it a newer creation (or modification) date. Mine was created August 2001 and modified August 2002.
    Anyway if you don't get anywhere with what we've found so far, you could look through these Google searches as many of the findings talk about specific programs that cause errors with this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...e+comctl32.dll

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...=Google+Search

that poor dll is used for a wide variety of apps.

It may just be overworked

Good Luck!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I wouldn't do that.... My versions are different in different folders and they are probably supposed to be. Maybe try downloading an updated version, but those different versions are probably in different folders for a reason.

Beefy Guest

I grabbed a copy of the dll from another PC and chucked it on here (they are all from the same GHOST image, so it shouldn't be any different). I'll give it a day or two, and if it starts up again I'll just kill it.

Thanks for the effort guys.

Beefy Guest

Well, it just started again. :( Nothing has changed on my system, and I wasn't doing anything I don't normally do... I think I'll give up.

sorry to hear that :(

I'm about to throw in the towel recently, WMP has become too much hassle. It may be time for a compete change of OS - at least that's the way I'm feeling of late.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

It's just been a dodgy day all round. Had a HDD in an external case for transfering data around. Stopped working. I didn't know what drive was in it, so I opened it up and had a look. Was a Deathstar. :( If I had of known earlier I coulda patched it / not relied on it. Then there's another PC that would randomly reboot. I replaced it with another, and it does the same. Changed power / kb / mouse / screen / cables.. still reboots. Got me stumped.

A doggone shame, for sure knowing about the drive would have saved some headache.

Two in a row seems odd, have you looked at the power source? Could be a surge there.

Beefy Guest

Oh, I forgot to mention I changed the power point the PC was on, which is on a whole different circuit. Plus there's a couple other PCs on the same line, and they seem fine. The last thing I can think of is it's the user or user login account. but I cbf thinking about it anymore..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information