Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: All XP experts out there!!!

Hi there i need help with the security settings for my hard disk or folders.Say if i were to right click on a folder or harddisk there isnt a security tab where i can assigned rights to folders or harddisk but in Windows 2000 there is.Do i need to add on a extra component on my xp cd or ????? Pls advise .

you need to format your partitions with NTFS to get the security
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

If you don't know how to do this, click here.

guys it was format as ntfs..... and even if it is not u can still have the security option when u right click a file or a harddisk , the question here is if windows 2k has it where is it in XP????? :mad:

you will not get the security tabs with FAT32, whether you are using Win2k or WinXP. If you do not have the security tabs it is only because you do not have NTFS as your file system, it's that simple. It is the same for either Win2k or WinXP.

Now double-check what file system your are using.

Bro it was formatted as NTFS and i just check to confirm its ntfs and when i install the os i took format as ntfs pls advise....i dont want to use other 3rd party software is there and way where i can do this.........pls note it is not only one pc i am having problems with but several pc with this problem even when the drive is NTFS all formatted as ntfs just to let u guys know :(

alright, then lets start over. Is this XP Home or Pro and what type of account are you using?

Edit: if it is pro, you need to uncheck "Enable simple file sharing" in Folder Options.
    Also, i didn't realise this, but advanced folder options is 'disabled' in XP Home for some dumb reason. To access these in Home you must boot into safe mode, make your changes, then boot back into normal.

I appologize for not remembering this earlier, but unchecking "Enable simple file sharing" is second nature to me when installing XP Pro. :)

its works now thanks a billion!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information