Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Virus Problem..

I was downloading from a p2p program a file that I wanted, and it turned out to be a virus, and after I ran PC-Cillin, it came up with 444 virus infected files which were all in my main Windows directory. I have 2 partitions, and I wanted to know if I could somehow copy a clean version of my infested directory to my other partition, and in doing so, spare a complete format, because I dont have a working startup disk for WIndows XP, and my floppy drive is not very popular with doing what it is supposed to. Is there any way to do this?? The files that have been infested cannot be cleaned btw. Thanks to anyone who could help me out.

Beefy Guest

Sorry dude, but that's just got bad news written all over it. You're downloading virus laden programs from a p2p network, which ruins a copy that you don't actually have an original CD of? It's got dodgy written all over it. Plus with the problem there's no easy way out of it. You can either try and find clean copies of all the infected files from another machine, boot into the recovery console (with an XP CD) and copy them over, but it's still not gonna be easy.

Reinstall is the only real way to fix it.

Can I reinstall from my Windows XP disc without losing all of my files???(besides the windows files which would hopefully be written over) I have the CD, and I own the copy of Windos XP, I just dont have a startup floppy disk, and last time I tried making one, I dont think it worked, I had to first install Win98, and from there I had to install my XP.

startup floppy disk? you don't need one with XP, just boot off the CD (since you seem to have it afterall). You should never have to 'upgrade' to XP from another OS; not even if you buy an upgrade version. If you want a boot disk to utilize fdisk, i suggest you get a win98se one from [here].

A 'repair' install may over-write the problem files, but repair jobs are only temporary fixes imo (when they actually work). If you can repair it to a working state, back up any important files then repartition and format the whole thing.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

So I can completely format my HD and when booting it up, I can just install Windows XP straight from CD Rom without a startup floppy?? Is there anything special I need to do to enable this?? Also, its not like my system doesnt work, so far actually I haven't experienced anything wrong with it, I just know that the files are infected because PC-Cillin said so, and I didn't think it was that big of a deal, so I thought I could somehow fix this without fully formatting.

just set the CD-ROM as the first booting device in the BIOS. Restart with the CD in the drive and Windows setup will start, simple as that. The only reason people need a startup floppy is because they can't boot from CD or are using an alternative method of installing windows (i.e. network install)

If your AV can't fix the infected files and the files are important for windows to function properly it would be best to just scrub it and start over or attempt a repair install (but like I said, i'd only consider that a temporary fix). You could also try to replace the files in question with ones that you know are good, but there's no guarantee that will work either (but it's worth a shot).

btw, what virus is this that you can't clean up and what are the damaged files, specificly? (don't bother with the other 443 : omg: if they were cleaned)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well, I dont know, first I thought it was a program I downloaded while searching for *coughDoom3alphacough*, but in the PC-Cillin log it says it happened like a few hours before the time I got the program, so I dont know what it is exactly, but the name of the virus is Worm_Ber or something like that, and the whole list of infected files were in my WINDOWS directory. Nothing is functioning unproperly, but I just wanted to replace those files, but now that I know I can install XP through disc, maybe Ill just do that...or maybe Ill stick with the files I have now, since they are Quarantined, and aren't causing any problems. Ill wait and see, and if not, Ill just reinstall XP, but anyways, thanks for the help guys.

My main concern is getting to the command prompt where I can tell the computer to install XP. How do I do this, do I just stick the disc in and restart with Xp (current) installed, and it will overwrite/reinstall, or how??

Just go into your bios (press like F1 or F2 or something when your computer start before going into windows) and set it to use the CD drive as first boot device. Plop in the XP CD and restart. It should boot into the XP install. Installing is incredibly easy, I wouldn't worry about that.

So, hey, am I the only guy left with a PC that requires a bootdisk to load the CD drivers?

Some folks do actually need those, you know.

If you do, spend $15 and get a reliable floppy drive - often, cleaning the one you have is enough as a floppy drive is actually pretty reliable.
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-02-21.htm#3
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    So, hey, am I the only guy left with a PC that requires a bootdisk to load the CD drivers?

Some folks do actually need those, you know.
    Nope not many left now Mr. C (I still have a few old relics here that need a boot disk but then they won't work with anything past 98SE in the Windows line up) as the more modern mobo BIOS's that support bootin' from a CDROM have the compatible drivers for CDROMs within the BIOS itself but ya'll be glad to know that I still install floppy drives into new PC's for other reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information