Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NTFS, FAT 32, Partitioning, Raid 0, duel boot, XP, XP 64 and

Excellent thanks, just one last thing, will the drivers work from a cd? I have all the drivers I need to start up with already on cd rom (not the newest but factory set ones) so I should be ok, and things like graphics I can update later. Is that ok or should I get all the latest drivers and save them to floppy first? The only problem with that is apart from the obvious ones, Graphics, sound I could not find many of the newer drivers around, like the ethernet controller and the raid one.

Thanks.

btw I found my windows reg code, so I'm all set to go.

Beefy Guest

The only driver you need on disk is the RAID one, as you have to load this up before you can start installing (the installation program will tell you, as I mentioned before). All the other drivers can be installed once the system is up and running, so they are fine to leave on CD.

Searching through my disks I've come accross the driver:
    WinXP Promise FastTrak 376/378 Controller. This is also the one that is installed as a SCSI and Raid controller in device manager, so I take it this is the correct one? Only problem (maybe) is that it's not digitally signed. Like I said this was one of the drivers I had trouble finding, so is this the one I should use or should I try to find a signed one?

Also sorry you may have mentioned this, but when do I install this, after I have formatted or after I've partitioned or at some other time?

Many Thanks for all the patient replies

Beefy Guest

That's the one you need.

OK, what will happen is when you boot from your XP CD, it'll pop on screen with 'Press F6 to install third party RAID + SCSI drivers' or something like that. It'll be one of the first things that pops up. Press F6, then follow the onscreen instructions, putting the disk in when it needs it. You can't really go wrong, and it won't let you start installing if you don't have it.

Thanks alot everyone that helped.

Very much appreciated

Ok I'm about to do it, I have one further question however. Will the different drivers conflict with each other?

What I mean is XP 32 will be on one partition with it's drivers.

XP 64 will be on another partition but will need different drivers to run.

So will they conflict or will the partitons seperate them?

Many Thanks

Actually is there a maximum amount of partitions you can have and do they have to be seperated into the 2 160 gig's?
    Like can I have for instance a 200 gig partition and then 2 60 gig ones?

They won't conflict. You should be able to have 4 partitions per drive, normally. Your setup is a little different, but I don't think it matters.

you can have 4 primary partitions, but if you use an extended partiton you can have 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition, but the extended partition can have many logical partitions. So technically speaking, you could have as many partitions as you have available drive letters to assign to them.

drivers stick with the OS they are installed with so you wont have any conflicts. Otherwise it would be very difficlut to multiboot with any OS's

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

ok so I can have:

C: 50 gig Win XP 32 - NTFS
    D: 50 gig Win XP 64 - NTFS
    E: 30 gig Fat 32 - Empty
    F: 30 gig NTFS - Empty

G: 80 gig NTFS - Empty
    H: 80 gig NTFS - Empty

I'm not sure why I need the Fat32 partition, I'm just going on what has been mentioned in this thread, but will this work ok.

Empty just means places I will use later e.g Games e.t.c

yep, you can do that, but you don't need the fat32 partition if you're not going to use win98 :)

i'd recomend that you partition the drives before installing windows so you don't have to change the drive letters of your optical drives later.

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information