Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Mouse Quirk After Reformat

First off, many thanks to the big shots of this amazing webpage. The XP tweaking guides have been a regular for me every time I reformat.

Second, sorry if I'm posting the wrong forum, but here's my deal: I reformated my HD, downloaded all the drivers, updates, and other data. I'm using an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card, which I downloaded the recent drivers and software for. Now I have an invisible gap on the right part of my screen. A maximized program looks normal and fits perfectly, but if I move my mouse to close the program, I usually end up over-shooting the "X" and shoot off into this blank that about an inch wide. Usually, the gap is only about as wide as the mouse (i.e., if you move you mouse to the far right of the screen, it dissapears, but you can still make out the far left side of the mouse sticking out).

This may sound trivial, but with my perfectionist attitude, it's kinda getting to me. Thanks for the help.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem, but there should be buttons on your monitor that allow you to adjust the screen placement.

I apologize for not specifing the problem. The resolution and placement are perfect. All maximized windows fit perfectly in the screen. However, there is still that gap (larger than normal) on the right-hand side of the screen.

I think I know what you mean now. As in the gap that you can put your mouse or windows into that normally isn't very large? Not a big line of black that you can't use. If I am understanding now, I'm not quite sure how to fix it. Try downloading different drivers for your video card and monitor (yep, even your monitor). Since the updated ones aren't working, I guess it's possible something is wrong with them.

I just have to say, this is the strangest problem I have ever seen. The fact that the gap is that much wider than normal is just plain screwed up.

It sounds very much like a graphics-driver related problem.

Go to the Nvidia control panel and look for the monitor adjustment screen, where you can manually shift the displayed image to centre on your monitor screen.

If that doesn't work, update to the very latest Nvidia reference drivers.

What an interesting night last night, to say the least. Basically, the Nvidia Desktop Manager says I have two monitors attached to my video card. While in the Display Properties, I accidently selected one for my primary monitor. Once I re-booted, wouldn't you know that everything I needed to see was on that "other" monitor? I did a hard reboot during the XP loadup, created a system error, went in by safe mode, and restored my PC to an earlier point. All I can say is thank God for System Restore.

Persian, I can't seem to find anything that specifically moves the image - again, the placement of windows in the screen is fine, it's that larger-than-normal gap. Also, I downloaded the new driver and updates about three days ago when I first reformatted. Doesn't get more recent than that. ;) BTW, are you anywhere near Brisbane (QL)?

I think I understand your problem. If you are not using two monitors (or a monitor\tv combo) then simply disable the second monitor in your "display properties" screen (control panel -->display -->settings tab --->right click and remove check mark beside "attached").
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Hey, that fixed it! Thanks a ton!

Glad to hear it!! It is nice to actually be able answer a question once in awhile instead of asking them....:cheers:
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thread Information