Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows File + Folder Encryption

: omg:
    as you stated your friend is a moron and doesn't know how to deal with stuff. in anycase if he was so paranoid he should have used some good excryption program like GPG or PGP. at least he could have revoked the keys by using that "password paragraph".
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Yea, well I guess I'm lucky that he didn't really know anything about computers...

He hadn't touched the bios (or knew what it was) or any other key system.

A few months ago I created a admin level user on his computer. He was convinced at the time that his user account was 'corrupt' and that I should fix the problem by making him another user account. I fixed the problem another way, and the other user account remained unused.

I happened to remember that account yesterday, and so I tried accessing it, and it booted! This still didn't solve the problems retrieving his files, but at that point I rebooted and ran the WinXP repair feature, and then this morning we tried it and he logged in and it booted just fine.

So I told him that he should de-encrypt all his files, and then we should do a re-format, and so we are in the process of doing so now...

Thanks for your help, and I'm betting this might come in handy with your local paranoid fruitcake...

BTW - today he informed me that the guy who built the computer for him had pirated windows, and when I asked him if he had ever tried windows update he had no idea what i was talking about... :steam: :grr: :steam: : omg: : omg: : omg: : omg:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

So, yea, he was running 2 software firewalls behind a hardware firewall, with ALL non-system files encryped, (half of those in windows compressed mode (despite 10 gig free) ) with a pirated version of windows that had never had any Windows Updates... : omg: : omg:

And something I noticed a moment ago, he's running an ECS motherboard, that had a 1333 Athlon with 266 FSB running at 1000 mhtz with 200 fsb AND a bios that doesn't know WHAT his processor actually IS... His heatsink is the smalled heatsink I have seen since a Pentium 100, and it IDLES at 62 C !!

His burner has never burned a disc because it was set as a slave (this PC is 2 years old) and he has NEVER defragged his drive after two years of constant encrypting de-encrypting, compressing, decompressing...

And I know this sounds almost too insane to be true, BUT it IS ALL TRUE !!! : omg: : omg: : omg: : omg: : omg: (the omg guy is getting tired)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I'm suprised it worked as long as it did. This guy may be beyond hope. Rather than educating him, once you get the files, do a reformat and reinstall, update everything etc. Then set him up with spyware\antivirus\regcleaner\etc. programs and either set them to run automatically or show him how to use them. Set Windows Update to automatically download and install updates without warning. He can't be trusted to use it on his own. Show him how to defrag, and make him do it regularly. Show him how to clean up cookies\temp files\etc. and then smack him : omg: Hope he pays attention or this is going to happen again.:flames:
    Get programs to do everything automatically (as I said) just in case he doesn't use them.

I've got a better idea...
    Sell his computer and use the money to buy more beer
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Show him how to clean up cookies\temp files\etc. and then smack him
    Yea, that was another aspect of his paranoia... he constantly ran 'Windows Washer' or whatever, so his temporary internet files were constantly being deleted, so as you can imagine, that causes problems in itself.

I think he has learned his lesson, for the day or so that it appeared all his files were gone because they were encrypted, I think that shocked him into the real world and he realized how dumb it was.... I don't think he'll do it again, but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    so as you can imagine, that causes problems in itself.
    Actually I can't, but if you say so.. :)

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    I've got a better idea...
    Sell his computer and use the money to buy more beer
    < sarcasm >
    But then someone will be able to get all his files off his hard drive!
    </ sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    But then someone will be able to get all his files off his hard drive!
    Imagine his most secret stuff floating around the web.. On second though, let's not.. :)

Actually, Window Washer is very good for people who don't know what they're doing. Mess around with it and set it so that it automatically deletes all the temporary stuff for him. He probably doesn't know about the other, sometimes easier ways to clear that stuff so it might be good for him to keep it. And don't worry, using Window Washer to delete TIF won't cause any problems.

And just FYI, he uses Window Washer as another one of his insanities. It doesn't just delete temporary files and such, it encrypts them! As many lines of random binary as you want to permanently destroy files making it hard for recovery. The ultimate in file encryption. The irony kills me. :snip:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information