Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Freezing/Hanging up

Hey, my computer is constantly hanging up during random times. One of the main times is that I can never complete a full virus scan under NAV 04. It will freeze up always, even if theyre is no other programs running. And also, when I try to go into safe mode, when it is loading that atartup files before windows boots it will always hang on those too. If I say, start a big gownload and leave the computer running, it will always be hung when i get back. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Also, when the computer hangs, I look at NAV because I can still see it, and theyre is multiple virus detected, usually over 10 by the time it freezes. Thsi happened before and I try'd to reformat and the computer hung durign that and the HD somehow got damaged and could no longer be formated.

Thanks,
    Lawton
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

What OS?:?: It could very well be bad hardware or bad BIOS settings (doing any overclocking?). However, if you have viruses those are probably the problem. But I need to know your OS before I can help.

Windows XP Home edition, and no overclocking, although I have been foolign around in the bios.
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

Try manually deleting the viruses if Norton tells you what they are. This could be a combination of multiple problems, but I'm sure viruses aren't helping. You can also run msconfig (start > run > msconfig) and stop programs from starting when Windows does. Click the startup tab to do this. You may have to post what's there (under the startup tab) to ensure you don't get rid of anything you need. If you have changed anything in the BIOS (fooling around?:?: ), try changing it back. Do a spyware scan (Adaware in my sig if you don't have). Also clean out your registry (RegCleaner in my sig) as some bad registry entries could be contributing. After doing this, it might be a good idea to reinstall Norton.

When you say your hard drive got damaged and can't be formatted, do you mean you can't reformat the HDD your using now? Or do do you mean that it was damaged and you had to replace it and format that?

Under startup the only things checked are ccApp, ccRegVfy, srxTray, ashmaisv, and ADVCHK. I have already set BIOS to defaults a while back, didnt help anything. Norton was installed after the hang-ups started, so Is a reinstall neccesary? BTW, it doesn't tell you any info on the viruses detected until the scan finishes, so all I have is how many virus's it detects. I have already used the registry cleaners, and when I was talkign about the HD, that was a while back. The computer was still under warrenty by the local shop we had build it a couple years back, and I think they ended up having to replace the mobo. These seem like signs of that again. Please don't tell me it is.

All help is appreciated,
    Lawton
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

I think your memory is toast. Either that or your psu is getting flakey. Run memtest86 on it and try a different psu.
    memtest86
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

I'm going to have to agree with maximus7001. I bet it's not the entire mobo though, just memory or something. You can try AVG (in my signature) for the viruses, but if it doesn't fix it then new memory may be the way to go.

The memtest you gave me can't finish, it always hangs-up soemtime during the test. I have a feelign its the psu because I installed additional fans and a volcano heatsink and thats when thing sstarted to happen.
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    1.39GHz
    Radeon 7500
    SiS MOBO
    512 SDRAM
    LITE-ON DVD-R DRIVE
    HP 24x CD-R/RW Drive

:rolleyes2 Well then that is almost definetely the problem. Replace your PSU or remove the fans.

try this one: memtest86+

but, from the sound of it, it would be unwize not to test the PSU :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information