Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiping hard drives

Ok
    My problem is stupid things happening with my os because I upgraded to win xp pro from win 2000. I want to wipe both my hard drives clean and do a fresh install of win xp. Only problem is I can't figure out how to do this.
    any instructions would be apreciated

XP gives option to format when installing

boot off the XP CD, you will have options for partitioning and formating in the early stages of the install. Make sure you back up your data first.

do a forum search, formating and partitioning has been covered in detail in other threads

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

A reformat is good,but if you can find the manufacturer's disk(disks) that came with the hard-drives thats even better , you can Zero-fill, lowlevel format, even rewrite the Mbr code.

Just insert the floppy restart and follow the instructions

This way you throughly wipe off any data or partitions that exist and can start a new. Make sure you read the manual that came with the hard-drives as they contain the proper sequence to do this.

Then you can do a fresh install of Xp.

Its all up to you which way you go, but I find this to be a better way especially if you are having problems switching Oses.

i need help too whahere do i get a boot cd or manufasture cd b/c my restore cd wont work
    Wilde Gonzalez

Edit: an alternative to reformatting would be to download updated drivers for your hardware. That is why you are experiencing probelms. Skim through my post until you find my instructions for updating your drivers. If you still have problems after doing so, then a reformat would be a good idea.

Ignore what #Hashx#said, that's a much more comlicated way than is necessary. Simply reformatting will do what you need.

In order to boot from your XP CD (you have one, don't you?), you need to go into your BIOS and set your CD drive as the boot device. To do this, you will have to press something like F1, or delete, or maybe F10, when your computer starts up (before anytihng Window-related shows up. Something should pop up giving yoy the option to change things. Just find boot device priority and chang it so your CD drive is the main boot device. Your BIOS should have instructions on how to change these things in it. After you do this, pop the CD into the drive and restart the computer (Ctrl + Alt + Delete will do it, no need to use that power button :)). When the XP CD boots up, it will give you some options. You'll want to choose to install, and then to reformat your hard drive. I suggest using NTFS and creating at least two partitons. To do this, just choose a size for your first partition that is smaller than you hard drive (much smaller, I'd say around six GBs is good). You can create another partition from XP by going to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Disk Management after you install. If you have any CDs that came with drivers, those will be useful. If not, you will have to download drivers from your hardware manufacturer's web site. Download CPU-Z hereto determine your motherboard's manufacturer. Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device manager to determine your other hardware. Mainly video (it should be under "Display Adapters". Intel, nVidia, and ATI are common video card manufacturers. You should install your motherboard drivers first. I will leave you to Google for them on your own. If you get it installed and can't find them, post again for more help.

Edit: I see you have two hard drives. Installing a single partition on each one will probably be the simplest thing to do. Just make the partiton take up the entire drive when you format. Follow my instructions to format the other hard drive from XP.

well my pc is dead i guess when i tryied to recover my pc wiht recovery cd and after 15 seconds into the recovery a error apeared "Disk acces:sense operation failed" and then it stopped. then i start up my pc and a error appeared it sayed theres no operation system available so wjat do i do and i went to a electronics store and told me they are going to charge $69 to check and fix it and i wan to do it freee so please help me
    Wilde Gonzalez

Just take your Windows disk and make sure the system BIOS is set to read from there first. Since Windows is a bootable disk, it should allow you to enter the recovery console and run some basic diagnostic tests. If it fails to boot even from this, you probably have a good deal more wrong than just a hard drive. Basic Troubleshooting 101 comes into play at this time.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

G13man is offline Junior Member

Well, if your on line, then u can go to the web site of your harddrive manufacturer, look for Utilities. . . down load any thinge that looks apropriate [as above mentioned] make a copy to a disk and try this disk in your other komp....
    then again hard drives can/will fail GL
    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
    recycled from the trash [and in use]
    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

how do i go into my bios how would it look
    Wilde Gonzalez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information